Covering chicken run concern

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am trying to figure out how to do their run. The coop is about 8' at it's peak, that issue? The chainlink pen that surrounds the coop is 6'. How can I cover this? The chainlink is against the back wall and is centered. I have a Great Pyrenees to guard them if they wouldn't fly out, but I am thinking that they could jump the 6' fence and would be lunch for the neighboring pit bull (it's in the chainlink pen beside the coop yard.)

2. Eric in NC

Eric in NC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Net from the top of the chainlink to the edges of the roof - or just cover the whole thing if it isn't too big (50'x50' net is available).

3. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
  4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I think that the pen is 40x40, but won't netting get in the way of door?

5. zachslc

zachslc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    Can you add a picture? I cannot visualize it.

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    If you check my page, there are some pictures. I won't be home for a few days, but Monday, I'll try.

7. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    I see, your coop is in the run and the door and roof would be the "high" spot. Just add a couple of 2x4's over the door to create an "eve" make sure they extend at least 38" from the wall the door is on (looks like you have a 36" door). I don't know if you have done your roof yet, but you could always just have the roof overhang like an eve too. There is alot of ways around it. You could even put a post in (in the ground) that is taller than the roof by a couple of feet, circle (12-24") and mount it to the top of the post, it will act like the top of a tent and support the netting. Anyways, goodluck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by