1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Covering existing electrical wiring?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by haunani, Mar 7, 2017.

1. haunani

haunani Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    near Rockford, IL
    What is the easiest way to cover existing electrical wiring in a building/shed I'm converting to a coop?

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    FWIW, our chickens have never bother the exposed wiring in our coop.

3. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Is it running across the walls ? We covered our wires in conduit ( plastic pipes), if it's on the walls going around the room , we got old paneling from a Reno , or get free pallets and take them apart.

Pictures would help

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

yes, here's an old pic but it shows the wires, they run along the 3 walls from where the electric enters the coop.

[​IMG]

5. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    That looks really well set up. I would try to cover up the wire , why chance it?

You could cut any wood product to hammer in between the studs so the wire is hidden.

Like the boards holding up your ramp and perch, if they can't see it they shouldn't chew it.

Make sense??

6. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I put those night lights that are flat and require no bulb over the outlet also . Dust will plug that up really fast ......just saying chickens are pigs [​IMG]

Or get a outlet with a cover.....they seal out moisture and dust

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.

Those chickens could not "chew" through that wire if their lives depended on it. What will, chew through it, is a mouse, or a rat. That's why conduit is used in barns, and outbuildings.

8. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Ok, excuse me for saying " chew", I do have more in my life then my chickens !!!

My hens have Pecked off the plastic in doorways , pecked holes in walls and destroyed plastic containers .

You are right about mice [​IMG] though , glad we enclosed all our wires in conduit, as I have seen evidence of mice .....my hubby is a contractor and I thought he was being extreme.....

9. haunani

haunani Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    near Rockford, IL
    Sorry for the delay in getting pictures. I wanted to get the post up before I forgot.

Pictures should be in order from where it enters the building, along the west wall, under the shelf on the south wall (shelf will be removed), and up/over the door to the light switch and final outlet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I'm assuming those are all exposed wire? No cover protecting them? I can't enlarge picture enough....

Oh boy!!my contractor husband broke into a sweat looking at that !! I think you need to remove the staples holding the wire and move everything up, up , up!!! Sorry but that's a disaster waiting to happen , one mouse chewing and you've got an electrical fire going , there's wires everywhere!!

Sometimes starting fresh is easier then trying to fix it [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by