1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Covering for plywood coop floors?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fledgling, May 17, 2009.

1. fledgling

fledgling Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I am considering linoleum but with the humidity around here, I was leaning towards deck paint instead. Thoughts?

2. mfsakc

mfsakc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    El Dorado County, CA
    We first put a coat of primer then a couple of coats of high gloss paint on our OSB then covered it with a piece of linoleum cut to fit the space. We did not attach the lino to the plywood. Just laid it on top. This allows us to drag it out, empty it and hose it down. The inside of the coop was completely sealed with a primer and two coats of paint. Good luck with your coop!

3. mfsakc

mfsakc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    El Dorado County, CA
    P.S.: And thank you for your service. I thank God every day for our troops!!!

4. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I used linoleum and was distraught at first because the coop didn't have any walls or roof and it was in the direct sunlight - it just kept coming up. After I got the walls and roof on, it seems to have settled and it stays down now.
    I too thank you for your service! Were you in Desert Storm or the more deployment? I was over there in 91. This time around is sooo much worse than what we had - I feel for everybody that has served over there for the last couple of years.

5. johnny z

johnny z New Egg

May 17, 2009
    heavy layer of sawdust
    look for a local cabinet shop or sawmill should be free

6. fledgling

fledgling Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Thank you for your replies!

lunkerchicken- My husband and I both served in the current war. He deployed back in 2005 and I deployed twice: 2003 and 2005.

johnny z- My husband does woodworking so he is a free sawmill! [​IMG]

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I was just talking to some folks about this earlier- I love the linoleum floor in my coop. It makes cleaning and upkeep so easy. I HIGHLY recommend using linoleum if you have it available. Best idea ever.

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Deck paint should be fine. I still think I'd prime, although I don't know just how necessary it would be with deck paint... I put down 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of exterior latex semigloss as I had it leftover from painting the walls. Love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by