1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Covering gaps in chicken coop roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DesertSilkieHen, Nov 25, 2015.

1. DesertSilkieHen

DesertSilkieHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Tucson, Arizona
    I'm modifying my Craigslist coop and am concerned about weasels getting through the gaps in the roof. The roof is beveled and made out of sheet metal, with regular gaps between the wood and the roof. I'm putting quarter inch hardware cloth inside by the gaps but don't think this is sufficient. Any ideas on how to best cover up these holes and keep out predators? Pieces of wood or duct tape maybe? Thanks!

I've attached photos of the holes and my attempts to cover them as well as a picture of my chicks (because they're adorable).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tdepointe

tdepointe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooklyn, Connecticut
  3. DesertSilkieHen

Oct 21, 2015
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thank you so much! I had no idea they made those! I'll go out and buy them right now. :)

4. tdepointe

tdepointe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooklyn, Connecticut
    Be sure to measure the panels you have to confirm the strip you get fits the gaps, they do make different sizes.

5. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    If you can't find strips to fit, which we could not, that expanding foam that comes in a can (think it's called Great Stuff) works great. We bought it at Lowe's.

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    If you are unable to find a match you could always scribe the profile on a board or 2x4 and cut it out with a jig saw.

7. DesertSilkieHen

Oct 21, 2015
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks for all the advice! My local hardware store didn't sell thr strips so I bought expanding foam fillers. I was able to fill up a couple of other gaps too so I was very happy with it!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by