Covering Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frizzle Farmer, May 11, 2011.

1. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    I was wondering, does anyone cover their incubators with a blanket. I just covered my HovaBator 1588 Genesis with a light baby blanket, and it seems to be holding humidity and temps better. Is this safe? Any advice would help, getting ready to incubate some Lavender Orpingtons that just came in and I really dont want to mess it up. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    [​IMG]
    Hi there,
    I would be very concerned about interrupting the flow of air through the incubator since two of the ventilation holes are on top.
    I have 2 1588s that I have ran for 3 years now and have never needed to cover them, even hatching in January.
    Carolyn

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I gave up on my old foam incubator because it was never consistent. When room conditions changed, it would have wild spikes.

But, I do think putting the incubator inside a larger foam box (you'd have to make one out of foamboard, could just tape it together with duct tape, would be easy to do) would probably help a lot to keep the incubator consistent, as it would act as a buffer against the outside conditions in the room.

If I were to try that, I would still make sure there were a couple of holes in the outer box for ventilation, maybe a set down low on one side, and a set up high opposite so that the rising warm air would create a cross-current and draw in fresh air at the bottom holes.

4. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    Thanks for the advice. I'll remove the blanket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by