Covering outdoor run

Skibum

Songster
May 6, 2022
So my current set up is a 6hx10Lx4w coop with a small covered shed where food and water is stored (open on one side covered in hardwire cloth) 6Hx8Lx4W. Attached around this I’ve used a 10x10 dog kennel that is set up to make the outdoor space even larger.

In the spring I covered the dog kennel with netting which worked well. The problem is it snowed so much this winter (300 plus inches and counting) that the chickens barely use their yard except when I throw out treats. I’ve been confining the 4 chickens to the small shed and it has worked ok.

Now I’m adding 8 chicks this spring and want to have a better set up outside to allow more space. I’m trying to come up with ways to cover the run without spending too much time or money.

I saw making a cattle guard arch and tapping but I think there is too much snow here for that to be practical. I started looking at storage shed designs and was thinking I could make something like this work. I’ll have to take measurements to make sure I can find something wide enough but here is a picture of what I’m thinking. Anyone have experience making a set up like this?

Attachments

• F0C74F8D-E9A3-4267-9507-227155BA2BD0.png
    F0C74F8D-E9A3-4267-9507-227155BA2BD0.png
    412.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 092078E1-C155-4C41-A137-CEE94DAD6DE7.jpeg
    092078E1-C155-4C41-A137-CEE94DAD6DE7.jpeg
    931 KB · Views: 21
From someone who actually has experience with snow load(me):
Gonna be pretty hard to cover a 10' span with a sturdy enough cover/roof to hold up to that much snow.
Best bet would be to frame a gable type roof with posts in the middle for support,
but that won't be easy or cheap....and not sure the chain link panel 'walls' would support it.

I get a lot of snow here and only have 2x4 welded wire as a run 'roof'
Much of the snow falls thru, but I have to be diligent to go out and knock of any that starts to accumulate.

A-Frame is what i would being doing if i had to put up with snow. But i only see snow about every 20 years or so. I have no idea about snow load on things but an A-Frame is an easy build and using salvaged tin, i could do it cheap.
https://coopdesignplans.com/a-frame-chicken-coop-plans/
im not saying use these planes but you can see what i'm talking about.
I am having my roof (metal) replaced this non-snow season whenever this happens to be this year 🙄 I think I might see if I can save some of the metal for this kind of project.

I am having my roof (metal) replaced this non-snow season whenever this happens to be this year 🙄 I think I might see if I can save some of the metal for this kind of project.
Yes, see about saving some of the metal. Our run roof is shed style (with snow falling to the back/outside of the run). We used left over pieces of metal roofing. Yes, from the top, it probably looks like a mess, due to the small pieces, but it works just fine. We just made sure to overlap pieces appropriately to get good coverage.

We don't get much snow here, so I am not speaking from experience. However, I was thinking, what about a cattle panel hoop run partially roofed with the metal? Wouldn't the snow slide off, or if not, couldn't you use a push broom to clear it?

Back
Top Bottom