Covering run

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Master S.M.C, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Okay guys, so I just found out I wont be able to cover the run, but in it are 10-11 pound hens(12) and 14-15 pound roosters(2). Should I be worried about hawks, or can i calm down?

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    are these jersey giants and also hawks will still try to attack but since your birds are so big it might not be able to get away with any of them especially if you have that many together

3. Master S.M.C

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    They are, but will any harm be done if there full grown rooster out there with spurs. I say for about 2hours in the run a day.

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You can't even throw some bird netting over the top?

5. Master S.M.C

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    About how much to cover a run that's 16X80 and where from?

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Master S.M.C :

About how much to cover a run that's 16X80 and where from?

The netting is available in a variety of sizes. I've seen some on eBay that was 25'x100', which would be more than enough. The price on eBay wasn't cheap, though. You might check your local garden centers first to see if they have that size or can order it for you.​

7. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    the hawks may not be able to grab them and take them but the hawk still can get its talins into your chickens which if the wound is bad enough, it could kill them off too

8. Master S.M.C

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    My neighbor has a chicken that is about 4 pounds that has been roaming their yard for years and if fine. Whatcha think. ( Golden buff)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    you can buy a 50x50' Top-Flight heavy-weight netting from CutlerSupply for about $150. It's real easy to work with and with protect from airborne predators.

10. Quella

Quella Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Master S.M.C :

My neighbor has a chicken that is about 4 pounds that has been roaming their yard for years and if fine. Whatcha think. ( Golden buff)

It might depend on the area, I guess. My friend (because unfortunately I don't have chickens--yet!) lets his chickens roam everyday as well, and we've never seen a speck of a predator, I'm pretty sure. They are nice, and alive, and as chicken-y as can be.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by