Covering Run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Titus, May 14, 2008.

1. Titus

Titus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Shelbyville, KY
    I am finishing the run now and am wondering if it is necessary to put wire over the top? the sides go up 7 ft. tall 1" chicken wire. The chickens are about 2 months old (do hawks go after adult birds?).
    Thanks,
    Titus

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, hawks will go after adult birds. I have a tin roof on my run. We have hawks, eagles, racoons, skunks, possoms, etc. that would either fly in or climb over so we opted for a roof.

3. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    Our chickens are only out in the run when someone is home (thats almost everyday) but while we where building the coop we saw hawks circling above so we wanted something on the top of the run (this run is just temp till we build a bigger one) So what we used has worked out great. Its a construction site debris net that we drapped over the top. on 2 sides it acctually hangs down to the ground. I dont think a hawk could fly through that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Absolutely! Just like Farmer Kitty stated, the hawks, eagles, coons, skunks, foxes, etc... will get over your fence and get your chickens. Neighborhood dogs will get in the coop to. It's better to be safe than sorry. [​IMG]

5. Titus

Titus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Shelbyville, KY
    Thanks, looks like I'll be covering it with more chicken wire, dont want to take any chances.

Titus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by