Covering the tractor, will this work?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ssbs, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
  2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I have netting similar to that over my chicken run. It keeps hawks and other birds out, and has the added advantage that snakes tend to get stuck in it. If you're looking for something to keep predators out of your tractor, I think hardware cloth would be a better choice. The netting isn't strong enough to keep raccoons, etc. away from your birds.

3. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    I don't think coon or possum would bother them, but I know it is better safe than sorry.

What is the smallest hole that jumbos can get through?

Thanks

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Songster

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I personally wouldn't use this. it might be a cheaper alternative but if a cat or anything tried to get through it would tear large holes and all your birds, even ones not taken by the predator would be lost. Hardwre cloth is great. They also make the smaller 3/4 in chicken wire if you can get that in your area.

5. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    I don't see any 3/4 inch poultry wire, but I found 1" hex wire.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92283-16418-832283_0_?productId=3160867&Ntt=poultry netting&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntk=i_products$rpp=15$Ntt=poultry netting$Ns=p_product_price|1$identifier=

Is that okay? 50 foot is $10 and would leave plenty extra, wheres hardware cloth is about $45 for 25 feed.. And I've worked with both, hardware cloth is harder to deal with.

If 1" hex is too big I could always stretch it legnth wise and make them less wide.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:BOY ARE YOU THINKING WRONG! SORRY I DONT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE, BUT THIS STATEMENT HAS SOME SERIOUS MISCONCEPTIONS THAT LEAD TO BAD RESULTS AND QUICK!

I'M SORRY TO SAY THAT CAPTIVE QUAIL ARE LIKE RINGING A DINNER BELL( A VERY LARGE AND LOUD DINNER BELL--- MORE LIKE THE OLD FASHIONED CHURCH BELLS REALLY) FOR RACOONS--- ITS THEIR IDEA OF FAST FOOD! AND IN MOST CASES A 20-30LB RACCOON HAS MORE STRENGTH THAN A HUMAN AND BETTER PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS THAN A TEENAGER IN LUST! TRACTORS ARE BAD IDEAS FOR QUAIL JUST BECAUSE OF THE DIFFICULTIES INVOLVED IN MAKING THEM SAFE FOR THE BIRDS. I RECOMEND HIGHLY THAT IF YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST, OR JUST HAVE THE UNDYING DESIRE TO TRACTOR YOUR QUAIL THAT YOU COMPLETELY ENCLOSE IT 100% IN 1/2 SQUARE HARDWARE CLOTH. YOU CAN PONY UP THE MONEY UP FRONT AND DO IT RIGHT, OR CONTINUOUSLY AS TIME GOES BY TRYING TO REPLACE THE LIVESTOCK THATS GETTING KILLED. THE TENSTILE STRENGTH ON THIS IS HIGHER THAN CHICKEN WIRE AND THE SMALL HOLES WILL PREVENT DETERMINED LIL PAWS OR BEAKS (HAWKS LOVE QUAIL TOO!) FROM BEING ABLE TO GET AHOLD OF YOUR LIVESTOCK--- DONT THINK IF A HAWK LANDS ON OR NEAR YOUR TRACTOR THE QUAIL WILL RUN TO THE BACK AND COWER--- COTURNIX ARENT THE BRIGHTEST CRAYONS IN THE BOX! IN MY EXPERIENCE 1 BY 1 THEY WILL WALK OVER TO WHERE THE HAWK IS AND IN SOME CASES STICK THEIR HEADS OUT THROUGH THE CHICKEN WIRE TO SEE " THE BIG PRETTY BIRDY!" THE RESULT IS LOTS OF DEAD 1/2 QUAIL LYING AROUND THE TRACTOR--- THE HAWK WILL PULL THEIR HEADS OFF EVERY TIME IT GETS A CHANCE. AS WILL THE RACOON--- THE ONLY WAY TO EFFECTIVELY TELL THE DIFFERENCE WHEN LOOSING QUAIL IS DID IT HAPPEN DURING THE DAYLIGHT? OR DARK?

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    HANG ON A SECOND--- CLARIFICATION HERE---- 100% metal hardware cloth! THERE THATS BETTER [​IMG]

8. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    No hawks here, only ever seen one raccoon within my 5.5 years in this house (and trust me, I know if they are around.. I've got a COON dog, a hunting beagle, a prey driven beagleXheeler and a beagleXretrever).. And possums also equal dog bait, and dinner if I let that transpire. [​IMG]

9. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    hardware cloth is the only thing that will also keep out the mice and rats, which can be worse than the racoons and hawks.

10. ssbs

ssbs Songster

Jun 7, 2010
    I'm thinking about doing wooden sides with chicken wire on the top and bottom now... Nothing can reach through the sides that way. But how tall does it need to be? Just until the adults can walk upright comfortably

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: