Covering Up Vent Holes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Booswalia, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe this is dumb, but why? What can get way up there to get in?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    anything that climbs a tree . . . also wild birds and wasps.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You'd be surprised to see how many critters can climb straight up a wood wall. Racoons, rats, possums, weasels.....

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Raccoons can and will enter vent holes. So will snakes.

5. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I should have mentioned that the holes I'm considering not covering are only a couple of inches square. But, I suppose I should cover them just in case, even though we don't have any snakes, rats, weasels or possums here.

6. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Squirrels wanting the eggs...I had one come into my sealed tight coop...but, my 10x10 kennel run...where the door is, had a slight opening about 2", squeezed in ..when they want to they can get slim to fit in, like we do when we want to get by a tight corner and chair...but he couldnt get out, when I went in and kept running around the kennel walls running from me, he didnt have time to slim down to get out...I opened the door and he ran out.

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I have all my vents screend and hardware cloth covered.

My husband is paranoid that something will get in, be it bugs or bad thing, aos he made it a chicken fort knox in the coop itself. So far, it gets the dust trapped, so we need to clean it once a week, but no issues from bugs...and we did have a racoon that we found was trying to get thru the vent a few weeks back. He/she/it couldnt do anything tho...got the vent a little bent, but the hardware cloth was on the inside so he couldnt get in.

BWAHAHAHA

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:whew! lucky you . . . good hubby!

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:I didn't think I had any either . . . and it seems I don't. But a MINK came strolling in and killed my biggest best rooster! That darn thing could have fit through any hole you could sick a hot dog through! also you really don't want little wild birds coming in.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:When I first built my coop (see my BYC page) I used window screen as vent covers under the roof---a 3 1/2 inch space between the rafters. A raccoon climbed up 6 feet and tore the screen and pulled a chicken through. What a bloody mess. I replaced the screen with sheet metal louvers vents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by