Covert coops?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gonzo the Great, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Anyone know if they are breaking HOA regulations with their backyard coops? I don't really know my HOA regulations, but my backyard is in a culdesac and I have quite a large chunk of property that backs up to a noisy FM(Farm-to-Market) road in SW Houston. Neighbors on both sides have dogs, so I am assuming I am tempting fate that they will soon one day split the original untreated fence I have in place. So, until that day comes...what suggestions do any of you backyard urban chickeners have? I am planning on a mobile tractor to move around, only about 4-6 girls, no dudes (silly wabbit, chicks are kids!). Once I get my yard fixed up this weekend, the tractor is going up. Thanks in advance to all!

2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    just make sure its predator safe.not just plain chicken wire. dogs will go right through chicken wire.or dig under it. as far as reg- i have no idea.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I too am in Texas, on a cul de sac, with undeveloped property behind me. My city's regulations are quite clear, they allow ten chickens. My HOA is ambiguous. I have a small coop, 4x4x5 and a large run at the corner of my lot, away from my neighbors. Mostly the chickens free range in the back yard. I talked to my neighbors before getting chickens, and give them eggs frequently. I say go for it, particularly if you are in an older neighborhood. The HOA regs on the new neighborhoods are written much for tightly. But the dogs will come through the fence, and they will go for your chickens.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I too am in Texas, on a cul de sac, with undeveloped property behind me. My city's regulations are quite clear, they allow ten chickens. My HOA is ambiguous. I have a small coop, 4x4x5 and a large run at the corner of my lot, away from my neighbors. Mostly the chickens free range in the back yard. I talked to my neighbors before getting chickens, and give them eggs frequently. I say go for it, particularly if you are in an older neighborhood. The HOA regs on the new neighborhoods are written much for tightly. But the dogs will come through the fence, and they will go for your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by