1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Covert hummingbird feeder to waterer - ideas please?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chuckzoo, May 8, 2009.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I want a small hanging waterer for two chickens and was thinking of converting a hummingbird feeder but am not sure how to do it, can anyone offer suggestions, or suggestions on how to make or where to buy a small one. All the waterers I have seen are large.

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Assuming that it's one like this...

[​IMG]

You would pop the yellow flowers off with a screw driver and drill the subsequent holes left out larger.

You'll want to fill it up before you drill out larger to see where the water level will be in the dish. If you end up drilling out the dish below this level, water will leak everywhere. So you may need to drill larger holes, but higher than the existing ones.

Hope this made sense. I can't guarantee that it will work, but the basis is there. They're all the same style of feeder.. Just watch that water level.

3. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Thanks!
    When I started looking at my hummingbird feeders to see which one would work best I discovered I had one that the top came off!
    So I don't have to do anything to adapt it. What I do have to do is add a support under my coop to hang it from.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=28681

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    How ingenious!!! I have to replace my hummer feeders this year, and I can use the old ones for the chicks. Thanks for the great idea.

Cheri [​IMG]

5. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by