1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Covert open window to closed one?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sakmeht, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Hi,

I've got a window that I prop open on the side of my coop, but when it's shut it's not air tight - it would let little drafts in, I'm sure. Could I just take off the window or prop it up and cover the opening with sturdy plastic for the winter? Or maybe screw on some plexiglass? I've another window on the other side that would need similar treatment. I want to keep drafts out but let in some light for my girls. Here's a pic - you can see what I mean. It's the window above the nest boxes. Someone didn't close it fully, but you can see the cracks all around it. Just looking for suggestions here. Thanks!

We're in Idaho, by the way - it can get down into single digits at night in winter.

[​IMG]

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    u could seal it off with plastic or maybe get some weather stripping that goes around doors maybe that'd help seal it.

3. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    I think what I'd do is measure out the window hole and cut another window board but with a 3/4 inch over lap all around. From there you could then easily add something like a weather seal to the edge of the board and place something like a hook lock to make it tight. Just my thoughts.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I just made 2 windows in my coop on the south side for winter light and ventilation in the summer. Basically I just cut out the window after bracing inside and hinging it on the outside, then built a little box inside and screwed plexiglass over. In spring I'll take off plexiglass and replace with hardware cloth. The way I did it I can still close the window at night for extra warmth.

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    I would leave it proped open.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  6. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Eggcessive, I like your idea - my husband built the coop so I'll mention this to him since I'm not handy with tools. I only recently figured out how to operate a drill! [​IMG]

7. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    Quote:Hey that's a great idea. I'd use a t nut with a thumb bolt to make changing them out super easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by