Cow/Calf feed??

lacasitarojafarm

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
Skagit Valley, WA
OK this is a weird question but here I go. I have a freind who's husband works at a dairy. She ran out of her all-purpose poultry feed. Her husband brought over a truckload of cow/calf feed. He said "it's more or less the same".
smack.gif
Well there's no feed tag and he does not know what is in it. Needless to say my freind is upset. Should she be worried as well? The feed looks like grits (you can tell I am from the South). She also free-ranges and provides scraps. Will this feed hurt her chickens?

My dad used to feed that, but that was 30 years ago and it was all organic home raised feed with a bag of minerals thrown in the grinder.
Who knows what is in commercial dairy feed these days.
I'd say if it was ground on the farm from homeraised ingredients you should be ok as a fill in. If it was commercial by the ton stuff trucked in from who knows where, then it's anyone's guess.

Let me first say that I know absolutely nothing about cattle or cattle feed, but read recently about cattle feed that contains cottonseed or cottonseed oil can cause the eggs to be off. Pink whites, Olive or Salmon colored yolks and/or rubbery/cheesy textured yolks. That's all I got. Here's the link.

www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/ep127.pdf

Imp

Quote:
You may want to watch feeding to much "Hog Pellets" most hog feed is high in salt I have seen it any where from 4% to 20% salt and that much salt is no where good for chickens.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom