Cow feed, Sweet Feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Rainstorm, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Anyone ever fed it to your ducks/chickens? I got a bag and I gave some to my ducks and bantams and they went crazy over it. I was wondering if it was good for them or something, Im still gonna give them their grower/layer/crack corn, but I was thinking that I might could use that for their second feeding right before dark.

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Yes I mix the 12% sweet feed in with dog food and cracked corn to give my chickens, geese, turkeys and ducks! They love it... It has alfalfa pellets in it as well as corn and oats......

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on the purpose of your chickens. If they are smiply pets/yard ornaments then the sweet feed won't hurt them. However, if the birds are a profit center and used to produce eggs or meat then the Sweet Feed won't provide the necessary Amino Acids or minerals needed for optimum performance.

Jim

4. frogs n chickens

frogs n chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    valley springs, calif.
    A little bit used as a treat should be alright, but I would not give too much. My ladies get about a cup of scratch a day when it gets cold out as well as table scraps year round.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweetfeed is usually coated and stuck together with lots of molasses. That can cause diarhea and lead to dehydration. A little molasses has lots of useful vitamins and minerals. A lot of molasses is bad.

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    A little for a treat maybe okay, but this type of feed is generaly high in salt content and not really good for chickens.

Remember everything in moderation, just don't go overboard.

catdaddy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by