Cow milk production

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by theghostandmrchicken, Feb 27, 2012.

1. theghostandmrchicken

theghostandmrchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    How much milk can a organic cow produce on an average day?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I think it depends on the type of cow. [​IMG]

3. r devries

r devries Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    depends on the cow and what your feeding it a good well fed cow will give an average of 30 litres.

4. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    Wow, in ONE day? I can see why one might need to become interested in the butter and cheese business. LOL

5. SDragon

SDragon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2012
    I think that the average is 5 gal, not posotive though. It depends on the breed. For example a Holstein will more than almost every other breed, but a Jersy's milk is of a better quality. My grandparents own a dairy farm.

6. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    depends on lots of things, the breed, the age of the cow, where she is in lactation cycle, her nutrition level and body condition, her genetics, and if all 4 quarters of her udder are producing. cows may produce anywhere between 3 and more than 20 gallons per day.
    the quality of the milk and amount of butterfat and milk solids in the milk will vary too, by age, breed, condition, lactation cycle...
    so probably the better approach is to decide how much milk you need, and what you are intending to use it for (drinking, butter making, cheese production, etc.) and then decide what sort of cow to get. or maybe decide to get goats instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by