Cowpeas for hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GardenWeasel, Jul 16, 2010.

1. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    I am getting ready to harvest a few rows of cowpeas which I would like to dehyrate and add to winter scratch. Lately I have been reading about some type of inhibitors and heat treating before use but can't really get a good answer. Do I have to boil or roast them first?

2. GardenWeasel

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    Anybody out there feed dry peas?

3. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    20% of my mix is field peas. Peas are nutritionally great, and really compliment grains.

I do not know cow peas? My field peas are bitter tasting. I thought I was going to feed them whole or sprouted. The chickens picked around them. I know grind them and the chickens eat them..[​IMG]
    ON

4. GardenWeasel

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    Maybe I can clarify. Just moved south and lots of people grow black-eyed peas and purple hull peas. I grew them last year and they did so well with no pests I wanted to try them for the hens. I cooked them for us and gave leftovers to the chickens but they have an abundant amount of treats in the summer so I was hoping I could dry them for when treats bacome more expensive.

5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Sounds great.. Dry them for later use...
    Maybe some one from your neck of the woods can chime in on those specific peas.
    ON

6. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    when i first read title i thought it said "COWpies" for hens! [​IMG]

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Picked black-eyed peas yesterday and fed then to the chickens...they loved them.

I'm always looking for cheap feed for them plus growing the legumes adds nitrogen to my soil. I have some White Whipperwill (cowpeas) coming along and some Navy Peas as well as Scarlet Runner Beans...now sure about this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by