Cows are STUPID! My good deed for the day

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Nov 16, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Behind my chicken coop and next to our storm shelter is a large overgrown area my DH calls the milking lot. It's the area his mama used to bring her milk cows to milk em. There are THREE large openings into this lot, not including the opening in the fence next to my chicken coop.
    The other day our neighbor brought 150 young heifers up here to the farm and turned them loose in the meadow. Somehow 12 of these heifers got into the milking lot and couldn't figure out how to get back out of it. Since the night before last they have stood virtually in one spot. There's no water source up there and very little to graze on. If they had gone 200 ft. in any direction they would be back in the meadow with the rest of the herd, but nooooo they just stood there watching the other cows graze.
    The neighbor checks on the herd daily, but unless you were to stand in front of my chicken coop you couldn't see these cows "trapped" behind it.
    I finally took pity on the stupid beasts and called the neighbor to come rescue them.
    Proof positive that chickens are smarter than cows. [​IMG]

2. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Doesn't surprise me for a cow. [​IMG]

I judge the smartness of critters based on where they poop. Cows rank on the bottom because they poop on their young, while horses only manage to poop in their food and water. Then it goes up from there. [​IMG]

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i love cows they have brains smaller than a peanut but sure are cute

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My DSD is still whining about the time a cow backed up to her car, fresh from the carwash, and pooped down the side of it. [​IMG]

5. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:My DSD is still whining about the time a cow backed up to her car, fresh from the carwash, and pooped down the side of it. [​IMG]

OMG - that is too funny!! Yep, I have yet to see a horse poop on a car. [​IMG]

6. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Be careful when you label an animal dumb. Cows have different vision from humans or predators. What looks like an obvious opening in the fence to you may appear invisible to them. When cows can't see where they are going, they error on the side of caution and don't go forward. Some people label chickens dumb, but that's usually because they don't understand chicken behavior. Also, it makes a lot of people feel better about how poorly chickens are treated in factory farms if they label them dumb. Are chickens brilliant? Probably not. But I wouldn't call them dumb, either. Same with cows.

7. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    My nanny goat is even stupider... she keeps getting her head stuck in the fence... many, many, many times ...one time I think she was thare overnight... next day she did it again....

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, I'd say that cows and goats pretty much run neck and neck in the brainless dept. [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

10. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    yup, i have a cow and goats- dumb, but amusing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by