Cows or goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by simplysophie, Dec 1, 2011.

1. simplysophie

simplysophie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    We are planning on getting either a cow or a goat for milk, but need to know which is better for us.The following information will help.
    1. We have 5 acres

2. approximately 1/3 of that is woods

3. We have a five year old and a two year old and if one of those animals might hurt them we need to know.

4. We will be getting pigs, so if that will affect anything i would also like to know.

Thanks!

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Well if you get goats, you should definitely get ones that are disbudded, meaning their horn buds were cauterized when they were young babies. KChildren are often at horn level, so no horns means no children getting a horn in the eye. Not something a goat would do on purpose, but more accident, like if they turn their head while a child is standing next to them.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    For that amount of land, I vote goat.

4. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    I would vote cow. but i guess it all depends on where you are from. Where i live we have irrigation from April to mid October, I have 9 head of cows running on 5 acres and still need to mow the pasture twice a summer as it gets over grown..A nice jersey cow will give you all the milk you and your family can drink. you could even raise a couple calves on her from the extra milk and she will pay for her self in the sale of good started calves.

5. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:My only comment is that goats can be loud bleat! bleat! bleat! and they can practice escape artist routines. [​IMG]

6. babyblue2

babyblue2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    If you have 5 acres of decent pasture I would get a jersey and sell her calves as well as milk her.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How much milk do you want? The jersey we have milked for the past 8 months or so was giving 8-9gallons a day when we got her from the dairy. We brought her down to 5-6 to make it more managable to milk by hand. We share this cow though. I can't imagine having that much milk every day for just my family. I just sold out my share of that cow last week and we are going to get goats again. Much more manageable animals. We have 7.5 acres of pasture but it isn't fenced properly for goats so they will be spending the majority of their time in a little paddock and we are going to have chickens, steers, and horses to keep the pasture down.

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I vote goats. You will need at least two to keep each other company. One to two full size nannys should give you more than enough milk. Potter makes a good point that cows produce A LOT of milk.
    It sounds like you are new to owning livestock and goats are good to learn with. Also the goats will clear out any brush you want to get rid of.
    Good Luck with whatever you decide on. My animals are the joy in my life.

9. Da chicken farm

Da chicken farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Goats are huge escape artists! And are a bit messy. However, my two boys, Paco and Olly are sweet fellows. I think that is part of a goats nature. They do scream a lot, but i found that goats are really friendly. I would suggest getting a goat, but I must tell you, a goat is an animal that needs a partner. However isnt it the same with a cow? I dont really know cows but I think perhaps. Anyways, if you are looking for a good deal of milk the cow makes more, but if you are not going to share the milk even a goat can potentially give you too much. My teacher, who has a family of four, told me that her goat produced to much for her one family to drink. I dont really know what you would prefer, but goats are really fun, especially the little pigmy ones!!![​IMG]

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Cows are also herd animals and will be happiest when another of their kind is around. Some people do keep just one, but I believe they do better in at least pairs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by