Cows?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BeaghCochin, Oct 19, 2019.

1. BeaghCochin

BeaghCochin Chirping

Jul 3, 2019
    I keep some Irish moiled cattle , alongside my other livestock and was wondering does anyone else have any cows if so what sort?

Attached Files:

Trish1974, Ptera and ValerieJ like this.
  2. Ducksandchickens

Ducksandchickens Free Ranging

Apr 24, 2018
    North Western Ohio
    ValerieJ likes this.
  3. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    North East USA
    Hi there, I don't have any cattle yet, but hope to have a few someday. Do you keep yours for milk or meat? I herd that that breed is mostly for meat.

ValerieJ likes this.
  4. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    I wish. DH says I can't have a 2000 lb pet. :rolleyes:

jeepgirl13 and Ptera like this.
  5. CJLR

CJLR Songster

Jun 9, 2019
    Someday I would like to get a highland for milk

Willowspirit and ValerieJ like this.
  6. BeaghCochin

BeaghCochin Chirping

Jul 3, 2019
    there actually a dual purpose breed , so both milk and meat :)

Willowspirit likes this.
  7. BeaghCochin

BeaghCochin Chirping

Jul 3, 2019
    If it helps theses are medium sized so they only get to round 1000lbs

ValerieJ likes this.
  8. BeaghCochin

BeaghCochin Chirping

Jul 3, 2019
    we have one highland , there more meat than milk

CJLR and ValerieJ like this.
  9. Muscovy Wunda

Muscovy Wunda Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Central West NSW Australia
    Beautiful! They look similar to shorthorns. I had stud Limousin cattle for 10 years but had to sell the last of them off a couple months ago due to our wonderful drought :rant. I miss them

ValerieJ likes this.
  10. My husband's family kept a herd of about 100 Polled Herefords for 5 generations before selling them off in 2009. My side of the family has likewise kept a herd for 5 generations, though ours was mixed breeds, lots of baldies. Both families were cow/calf operations.

Over the years, I have had several "pet" bottle calves that stuck around for years, and some that were raised just for the freezer. We have also had show steers for our kids... and I currently have a "retired" dairy cow - likely a Jersey/Holstein mix, that was an auction save. Her "job" now is at the educational petting zoo at the therapeutic riding program that I manage. Attached is my 19-yr old daughter sitting on her a few weeks ago!

IMO, some cattle DO make good pets. Heifers/cows can be difficult to handle when they are in heat, which is every. single. month. Steers are chill all the time... Cattle do eat A LOT - more hay by far than my horses, but less "grain". Grain isn't truly necessary, but it helps keep them used to being handled and it is a fantastic daily (or twice daily) indicator of health, especially for owners who may not know the subtle signs of an ill bovine. If the cow doesn't want to come eat it's twice daily "treat", or doesn't eat, you need to investigate why....

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: