cows?

first time farmer

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
New Hampshire
I have 4 horses but 5 box stalls and a straight stall. I want to get a 1 or 2 beef cows can i use the 2 extra stalls or should i build a new cow area kind of thing(i am building an addition onto my barn so another box stall or something a little bigger is doable) just wanted some others thoughts before i decided anything.

You can use those stalls but, as long as you are building somethings to think about.
1. Is it convient for them to go in and out? Or will it be a hassle?
2. Will 1 or 2 be it? Or will you be breeding them and expanding the herd? In that case a loafen type shed/pen might be better.
3. Will you be getting more horses and needing those spots?
4. Where will you be feeding and watering them?

These are just a couple things to get you looking at the setup/situation. Without us seeing the setup it's hard for us to say if you want to use those two extra stalls for the beef or if you should build something different for them.

Come visit us at

personnaly I would make them their own area,do you really want to put them in and out everyday and clean a boxstall for cows?..I wouldnt,make them a lean to where they can be in or out wherever they want to be..save yourself alot of work.

Thanks. I was talking to my dad and he said we will be building a new barn once its summer so all my animals will be in one barn (we are getting sheep, pigs, the 2 cows and maybe a donkey or a mule.) so we will have the cows in there own area with a pasture and a run in in the basement of the barn. I am so excited!

Back
Top Bottom