Coyote and mountain lion...reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tivona, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    So years ago, maybe 10, I had chickens that I let free range and eventually had both a mountain lion and a bobcat making kills on my flock. I saw both cats make kills so no confusion on who was the culprit . I had to stop the free ranging to stop it. We eventually moved and until now have only had to deal with coons at where we live now.

The last few weeks we have had my birds, ducks and geese, who are locked up safe at night making all sorts of noise. Looking out the window I didn't spot anything nor did I when going out with a light. Then a neighbor spotted a coyote heading towards my ducks and geeses pens about a week and a half ago. They heard it calling to more coyotes as it was making its way towards my pens. I started blocking the pens visually better and for a few nights I had the birds quieter. Then the birds started making more noise again. Day before yesterday my next door neighbor says a mountain lion was in the driveway.

We had one here before and someone shot it for bothering livestock as I recall. We also had large dogs on the property at the time. I guess its our lot for living directly next to the forest.

Anyway...The neighbors have livestock and have hired a trapper. They will be shooting it if they can would be my guess.

I have no dogs and am not getting one. So beyond locking my birds up at night and making the pens less visible to see into is there anything else I can do? I really don't want to see my birds gotten and I know from before that once the mountain lion knows they free range in the day that is when it will start showing up to kill. Suggestions anyone?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Solid pens will be your salvation - electrical fencing added to the pens will also be an effective deterrent. Free ranging will always be a gamble. Good luck. It's been a tough winter on everything. Predators are hungry.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Electrified poultry net from Premier. I have 600' of it surrounding my coop and birds, and that has been the answer for me, as far as ground predators go. Check out the website and see what they have.

4. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks both of you! For some reason I had not thought of electric fencing but that sounds like a great idea. I see what I can get. The coyotes were back last night. No way predators can get in the pens but or even see in well but the birds sure are freaked out by them. Its been years since I lost a bird and I want to keep it that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by