Coyote attack

millieinVA

Hatching
Feb 8, 2023
A coyote attacked my tom 6 days ago. Initially, I liberally sprayed with blue cote and have been since using vetericyn liberally 2x a day. Is this a lost cause due to infection or is there something else I should be doing to improve this guy’s wound?

Currently, I have this fella separated in a dog crate with a heat lamp. I am feeding medicated chick crumble and giving electrolytes & vitamins in his water.

Attachments

• B330C68E-FCD7-4F81-85FF-AAC2B4A9BD1C.jpeg
    B330C68E-FCD7-4F81-85FF-AAC2B4A9BD1C.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
A coyote attacked my tom 6 days ago. Initially, I liberally sprayed with blue cote and have been since using vetericyn liberally 2x a day. Is this a lost cause due to infection or is there something else I should be doing to improve this guy’s wound?

Currently, I have this fella separated in a dog crate with a heat lamp. I am feeding medicated chick crumble and giving electrolytes & vitamins in his water.
I’m sorry to see this. I have had a couple attacks look this way and I had mixed results … don’t give up and keep treating and keep him hydrated and clean as possible. Sounds like you are doing everything you can.

For an open wound like this, I would skip BluKote, but use either Vetericyn or a similar wound spray and coat it with plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. It doesn’t look infected, but just dry. Is he walking, eating and drinking okay?
I agree, it is very dry. I will apply ointment tonight when I get home. He was eating good until about yesterday. This morning, it took him some coaxing to get him up on his feet. I’ve also got a heat lamp set up on one side of the crate. Thank you!

I’m sorry to see this. I have had a couple attacks look this way and I had mixed results … don’t give up and keep treating and keep him hydrated and clean as possible. Sounds like you are doing everything you can.
Thank you! Yes, I’m abt to give up, but I will keep trying. I will add antibiotic ointment and wait a bit longer.

Let us know how he gets along. Hopefully, he doesn’t have any internal injuries from the attack, but he may be sore.
Yes, I most definitely will - fingers crossed! Applied antibiotic ointment tonight after allowing vetericyn to dry. Thank you again!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom