coyote bite

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by engelberry, Jan 13, 2009.

1. engelberry

engelberry New Egg

Jun 27, 2008
    so this afternoon my husband finds one of our hens in a coyote's mouth! he was able to get outside, scare the coyote off and save our hen. however, he did notice the coyote wasn't exactly healthy-looking. the hen escaped with a scrape on her back, not bleeding, but definitely an open wound. so our concern is, should we treat her somehow? quarantine her? will her eggs be okay?
    otherwise, she seems okay, shaken and nervous, but otherwise fine and back with her girls.

2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    I don't know what to tell you..But I do know that your hen is probably just in shock right now. Poor girl!

3. PamsPride

PamsPride Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    OHIO
    YIKES! It was posted on the local vets bill board about a month ago "Confirmed coyote with rabies found in local area".
    Two of my neighbors also swear that the coyotes they shot had rabies.

4. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    if i'm not mistaken birds don't get rabies because their body temperatures are to high for the disease to live, hope this helps:)

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Wash the hen's back off and put some antibiotic ointment on it. Even though she is just scratched, if there is any red showing the other birds may peck at her. If you see that isolate her.

Only mammals can get rabies. However, if the coyote had rabies and there was any saliva on the hens back when you checked her out, there is a possibility you or your husband could be exposed.

Check with your doctor about it.

General Questions & Answers About Rabies from the Center for Disease Control

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Too bad your hubby didn't have his rifle handy and send the coyote off to the other side.

7. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Please keep us updated on this situation. I feel worried for you. Your hen may need some TLC for a few days.
    Let us know how you and your hen are doing....

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Wow, carefully handling the chicken, rabies you can get from the coyote salvia

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Would not risk tring to treat the hen. You and yours need to check with a Doc. if you have touch the bird.

10. engelberry

engelberry New Egg

Jun 27, 2008
    we both donned latex gloves prior to handling her and will continue to do so. for now, i will check on her periodically and watch for the other girls pecking on her. thanks for everyone's feedback, we appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by