1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coyote crossing

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Godsgrl, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Okay, on another forum, people were discussing this news story, about a coyote stuck in a car grill for 600 miles.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/12895/coyote-stuck-in-car-grill/

Everyone was saying the driver should have gotten out and checked on the animal as soon as they hit it. My question is, would you get out? I can't say I would. Coyotes are dangerous in the best of circumstances, but an injured one is going to be out for blood. Now perhaps I would have looked the car over later, if we stopped for gas, but not at the time. I would not get out and check on a wild pig if I hit one either. Thoughts on this issue?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Well living in coyote country here, I can tell you that coyotes are pack animals and if this one was alone, it would have been ok to stop. They are really shy animals. All their lives they look for food, and easy prey at that. They are not hunters so much.

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:But they might see me as easy prey!

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I would have got out...with back-up! Plus you gotta check damage...what ifs can lead to major oops. I would have stopped.

5. debilorrah

Quote:But they might see me as easy prey!

Chickens are easy prey. If they see a turkey and a chicken, they will pick the chicken because it is smaller and defenseless. Never mind the turkey is dumber!!!! coyotes are very shy animals. I actually helped one out of the center median in town a few years back. Got traffic to stop and chase him back to the side of the road. He was scared spitless.

6. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    This happened where I live! Poor coyote, he must have been scared witless. Wildlife rescue picked him up and he seemed fine other than a small scratch. They were planning on shipping him back, but he managed to escape. Guess he liked the California foothills and decided to stay! As to the question, yes, I would have stopped. I would have wanted to make sure the coyote wasn't suffering and also see what kind of damage might have been done to my car. Not sure what I would have done had I discovered a coyote alive and well and lodged in my car grill! Oh well, I wish him well.

7. debilorrah

Quote:I am in the California desert and they are abundant here. Kinda cute really.

8. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Quote:I agree. We have quite a few of them here, too, and I love seeing and hearing them howl - except the one year when I think we had the party coyotes from Chico - they yipped and yapped almost all night long, partying it up not too far from our house - I think they had a den nearby. Thankfully, they haven't found my chickens to be of interest (knock on wood).

9. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Well, that's different! Thanks, that's my weird news story of the day.

10. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I'm still not convinced that it would be safe to get out of the car.

Lizardz, I grew up out by Butte College, and would frequently hear they coyotes yipping as I fell asleep. It was really neat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by