Coyote had thanksgiving duck

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by luvmychixandducks, Nov 26, 2011.

1. luvmychixandducks

luvmychixandducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Danvers, Massachusetts
    My brother went to another part of the state for Thanksgiving, and let the ducks out to free range earlier than usual- around 5:00 am.
    Just after 7:30 a neighbor knocked on my door, telling me one of my Muscovy ducks was in the road on a neignhboring street, and there was concern that it would be injured.
    I went out and herded the duck home- normally they do not leave the yard, and she was confused.
    I then counted the ducks in the yard, and came up one short.
    At this point, another neighbor came out on his front step, and hollered over, asking if I was missing a duck.
    Responding with a yes, he then told me it was out in his back yard, but had been killed a few minutes earlier by a large male Coyote.
    In three years, the 'yotes have killed and eaten one cat, one duck, and two bunnies from my yard.
    Time to declare war on wild canines.
    I picked up a fresh roadkill squirrel this am and it will be used to bait a snare in the woods near where they den up.
    I'll keep the forum posted with my results.
    Their right to kill and eat ends where my boundary begins.
    I'll miss the 160+ eggs she would have laid next year- and the babies we could have hatched which go to the FFA auction to provide funds for the annual convention each fall for the students at our local agricultural high school.

2. matt090303

matt090303 New Egg

May 25, 2009
    S.E. CO
    Good luck!

3. readjulie

readjulie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Good luck. We have a coyote that sits in our yard at times and watches our coop.

4. Dublin21

Dublin21 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2011
    It's harder to get the scarecrow tactics anymore because many coyotes have become desensitized to human presence.

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:So true but a shot in the butt with a 20 guage puts the fear of Scooter back in 'em. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by