ladyjey

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
Cape Cod, MA
Just thought I'd share some info; This morning around 4:30 I happened to be awake when a coyote showed up. Back story; I have large fowl and bantams and this time of year the bantams all seem to think it's a good idea to sleep in the witch hazel tree above their coop. I am chasing them out of it every night. (teenagers!) Well, got home too late last night and they were all up and it was too dark to chase them out. Also it was raining and going to rain even more, I thought perhaps they'd learn a lesson from spending the night in the rain (we shall see tonight).

Anyway, 4:30AM and my cats on my bedroom windowsill are growling and running away, so I get up and get my flashlight. I never actually did see it due to a large pine tree being right in my line of sight but I could hear it moving about, snapping twigs, etc.. and boy could I smell it! Upon investigation this morning I found he'd dug under my fence, see pics. I think my shining the light may have scared it off as the movement I could see seemed like he was trying to find his way back out. Note: It is the second day after a full moon but also it was absolutely pouring out. So while I knew predators like to hunt by the light of the moon I always, mistakenly apparently, thought that they didn't want to hunt in the rain. I guess when you're hungry...

I didn't get any good tracks due to the rain but can see that the foot size was large, the smell it turns out is the giveaway. In doing some internet research I validated what my nose knew, a wet coyote really stinks! I've read especially if they have mange as well. I would describe the smell as musky, wet like a dog but so much more. Not overpowering like a skunk but definitely had a funky, rank quality. Perhaps, like a dog, he'd rolled in something but I tend to think it was his own body odor. Even though at the time I didn't ID it, it was like some deep recess of my brain knew.

The good news is he couldn't reach my bantams and didn't bother to try for my quail or my rabbits, again maybe due to my flashlight. Wish I'd gone outside to scare him off! I'm hoping he burned so many calories for no gain that he won't try again!

Pics: I put my foot and shovel in for perspective, also note in the last pic, the dirt was thrown all the way to the bottom of the pic. Apologies for any blur, it was very humid out after all the rain.

IMG_5383a.jpg
IMG_5384a.jpg
IMG_5385a.jpg
IMG_5386a.jpg
IMG_5387a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5383.JPG
    IMG_5383.JPG
    582.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5383.JPG
    IMG_5383.JPG
    582.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5383a.jpg
    IMG_5383a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5383a.jpg
    IMG_5383a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5383a.jpg
    IMG_5383a.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
It's not a pen it entered, it's my yard and he came right in. I have a half acre and the back and sides are fenced for the chickens. It's really not the end of the world if an animal gets in as all of my coops are super secure, my rabbits and quail are close enough to my bedroom window that I would hear if there's trouble and my cats come when called and are in the house way before dark 99.99% of the time. I just wanted everyone to have the knowledge of if you see/smell this, a coyote is what you're dealing with. Also sourland, around here you pretty much either have coyotes coming around at dusk/dawn/dark or red fox during the daytime. And I'm very glad I don't have fox in the daytime!

Back
Top Bottom