Coyote in my neighborhood.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by paddock36, Mar 25, 2011.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Yes a COYOTE and in a neighborhood. It ran across the road into a vacant wooden lot between houses and it was only a few blocks from my house. I sure home they stay away from my hens. I'm going to do some extra predator proofing this weekend.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Coyotes are pretty much everywhere, even in major cities. I am unsurprised to hear that you saw one in your neighborhood. I wouldn't worry too much about them if you have a secure night time coop. I have tons of coyotes and have not lost a bird to them, yet. When the coyotes make an active nuisance of themselves they get shot by my neighbors. So, they tend to try to stay out of everyone's business and travel under the radar. Yours is probably trying to do the same thing.

Good luck with the predator proofing.

3. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    My neighborhood is next to an area called the Florida Greenway which is a park but is also heavily wooded so it's understandable that there is coyotes but I didn't think one would come into the neighborhood and this was during daylight. I'm not concerned with them climbing in my run area but more concerned that they will dig under the fence.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It seems they are getting less and less concerned about the presence of people. I hear them at night here, close, and the other day my neighbor had one walk through the yard during daylight. They will dig, I think, but I do know that they can climb fences well.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:If they can't climb them, they'll jump over at least a 6-foot one. Unless they are really hungry, they mostly hunt between dusk and dawn so if you lock your birds down at night they shouldn't bother them.

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    People in neighborhoods have all kinds of goodies for coyotes to eat, cats, dogs, poultry and any other small pet. Can't shoot in neighborhoods, what better place for a smart coyote?

7. paddock36

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:I have a feeling that if it shows up in my yard it will develop lead poisoning.

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I hope all goes ok until it's proofed! [​IMG] They're out around the clock here, day and night. Even deep in the city, people have their backyard dogs and cats taken by the coyotes. They commonly jump up right over 6' block fences to snatch and run (they're great jumpers, cllimbers, and diggers). They're smart and quick.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. Most any night I can take a flashlight and walk down to the old homestead (on the other end of the farm) and count multiple coyotes. They tend to travel on the outskirts of our farm and the neighboring farms. That's why my birds are locked in a very secure coop at night.

10. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Don't try those coyotes! Don't assume they are afraid of you. I was confronted by 2 when I went out to check on why things had gotten so quiet so suddenly. I accidentally put myself inbetween them and their food (my hens) in a restricted place between 2 buildings... Their options were to turn back or go through me. I made myself big, screamed, yelled & stomped the ground within 7 feet of them. The front one barred it's teeth at me and held it's ground.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by