Coyote in the neighborhood

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bestchickens, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bestchickens

Bestchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    Recently a coyote has killed one of my hens. My chickens were all in a flock and they all scattered. It was a big mess. I need to get rid of it. I tried to call it in with my varmint call but that didn't work. I don't want to buy a trap they are really expensive. Help!! I need to get rid of it!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Put one of your hens out in a wire cage same place same time he killed the other and wait gun ready. Like us predators seem to be creatures of habit.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A good #2 coil spring trap from the Duke Trap company likely can still be bought for $10 - $20. One good coyote hide is worth more than that.

4. Bestchickens

Jul 4, 2012
    But our neighbors have cats!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not for long if there are coyotes in the neighborhood.

6. TheReadyBoys

TheReadyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    P.E.I, Canada
    Get the guns out! Or maybe call a someone experienced with this stuff. Maybe that's better than the guns...

7. Bestchickens

Jul 4, 2012
    I've been sutton in the bushes with my 12 gauge for like 2 hours and trying to call him in! I haven't seen anything!

8. ncrugger

ncrugger New Egg

Jan 21, 2013
    Coyotes may be annoying but they certainly are not stupid. They have a terrific sense of smell and sight, so if you're in the bushes, better sit very still, wear clothes that have been washed with scent-free soap or have been aired out well. If they even slightly sense a threat they will alter their habit to ultimately get what they are after. Trap is best, as mentioned above. There are too many cats, anyway :)

9. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I like sourlands idea as well. Sooner or later youll get him.Hope its sooner! Patience and persistence best chickens. Just like the yote. Good hunting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by