Coyote just ran down my street

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by poultrykeeper08, Oct 24, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I was watching TV in my room and i got up to go to the bathroom . On the way back to to my bed i looked out my window and i seen a coyote run from the woods across the street right infront of a car !

i walk across the hall knock on my parents door and yell coyote! my mom says "oh boy " (she has to wake up at 5 for work ) im sure in the morning she wil be asking me tons of questions about it .

So i look ut my balcony door and see if he is around my pen area (even though he cant get anything becasue they go in barns at night ) No sigh of him i run down stairs to see he is back on the other side of the road !

The funny thing is he was walking/running at a really good pace and didnt stop (except for once for 1 second to smell somthing in the street ) and just ran down the end of my street for about a half of a mile than ran into the busy main street

My question is why was he in such a hurry ??

****update****
    i knocked at my sisters door to tell her as well and she goes there is pupies crying across the street listen !!
    i couldnt hear anything but im assuming it was a pack of coyotes howling or watever they do !

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    NEAT - I hear them howling often around our place, but I've not actually SEEN them here.

Why was he in a hurry? - who knows, perhaps on his way home, perhaps hunting....

3. frizzylizzy

frizzylizzy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2007
    The coyotes are cruising thru my place in the mornings. I had a close encounter last week. I was walking thru my kitchen and happened to look out the window and saw the resident stray cat walking across the yard sideways and all puffed up. I had just gotten up so I wasn't thinking clearly yet and just stared at it. Then it shot up a nearby tree. As my brain clicked "coyote", I saw a coyote walk by and stop to eat the handful of old dog food I thru out for the chickens the day before. I went outside to get a closer look at him and he was so involved in eating, he didn't hear me. I got within about 30 feet of him and decided that was probably close enough and then he saw me. I think I scared the poop out of him, because he took off like a shot and then I shouted and clapped my hands to scare him more. He looked back as he was going thru the horse pasture and I bet he was thinking "Where the heck did she come from?" !
    He or she was a big, beautiful animal, although a little on the skinny side. I sure wish they didn't prey on our pets because I do like seeing them.

For an answer to your question, I know that the ones I've seen traveling are usually going fairly fast- maybe they know that it's harder to shoot a moving target? They are very smart.

Elizabeth

4. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    We live on the edge of town and they come right up to my property line. I think they got one of my cats a couple years ago because he was a constant mouser...would never eat them....but brought them to the door for me to see. Well he moused in the field they run. I made sure my coop is secure. I don't trust them.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    They make a hi pitched yipping sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by