1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coyote or bobcat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by zach91, Feb 18, 2015.

1. zach91

zach91 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Over the last three weeks I've been gotten by a predator snacking on birds. I've narrowed it do to either a bobcat or coyote with babies. Any ideas on how to stop it?

2. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    Yep, this is how i stopped the last bobcat that came in and ate a few of my chickens[​IMG]

With my .22 right behind the ear.

3. zach91

Feb 16, 2015
    I called conservation to get permission and was told no it's out of season and I can't prove it just yet is a bobcat not coyote. Even after we found tracks that went to a tree up it and into the chicken yard

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    What state do you live in? The conservationist should have given you a number for a wildlife removal organization. Nuisance animals that are not endangered may be dispatched out of season if directly threatening your livestock on your property. Different states have different laws on what you may do with the carcass. Other animals may be foot or body trapped but you must know what to do with it once it is trapped. Google "laws on shooting bobcats" and find your state's regulations, laws and methods. I think coyote can be shot any time on your property, check to be sure.

5. TigerLand

TigerLand Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    North Louisiana
    I am a nuisance wildlife operator in Louisiana. when the regular trapping season is closed the captured nuisance animal must be reported at the end of the year before renewing nuisance permit to wildlife and fisheries so it is legal. A land owner can take a predator preying upon his livestock legally. however, i know lot of states dont have the bobcat population like other states in the deep south or southwest. every states laws are somewhat different.

6. zach91

Feb 16, 2015
    This is true but because I can't say yes I know it's a bobcat and I'm pretty sure it has babies. That's why I can't get permission to take it until I catch it on cam

7. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    That is why most folks just go with the rule of three S's. Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up. [​IMG] Then it is up to them to first know you did it, then to prove it. See, that works two ways. [​IMG]

8. dirtychick

dirtychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    Seems a little early for babys - should be breeding season ?

9. TigerLand

TigerLand Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    North Louisiana
    they have not dropped kittens and pups yet. their deep into their breeding season now. most females are impregnated already. caught a female red fox tuesday that was fat with pups. she was released unharmed..

10. zach91

Feb 16, 2015
    I say babies cuz there is a large set and a little set smaller then a house cats any ideas tigerland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by