Coyote protection. fence? rooster? guard animal?

loofa

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Hello,
I have hens that free range during the day, but also have coyote neighbors. I know that free range will always have risk, but I'm trying to figure out how to best mitigate the risk. I'm not going to hurt the coyotes, so please no shooting or snaring suggestions. I live in nature because I love nature.

Here the ideas I have questions about:

Roosters: So my first question is, to what degree do roosters really help protect? Some sites/forums I've read recommend them as the main defense against predators. Is it primarily that they will keep an eye out and warn the hens? I've seen my hens happily stand around pecking at the ground with a coyote not 10 feet away - so they clearly aren't keeping an eye out for themselves. But can a rooster provide any more protection than warnings? And is that usually enough?

Other Guard Animal: Everywhere I read says different stuff about guard animals. Llamas, donkeys, dogs (are there others?). Some say they work, some say they don't. I think a dog is not the right option because I wouldn't leave my dog out all day every day. Has anyone had any real luck with llamas and donkeys?

Fences: I've read that because coyotes have such thick fur (and the ones here have realllly thick fur) you have to have a fairly high powered electric fence. I worry that this might hurt other animals. Thoughts on this?

Ours are free range and nothing has happened to them so far. We have tons of coyote neighbors, red wolves, and foxes. I have heard a couple times that Coyotes are less likely to jump fences than foxes, from what I have researched in the past, a six-foot(ish) fence that is a good amount under the ground so coyotes dont dig under, has just about always worked, but other than shooting, fencing and snaring I have no other 'ideas'

We have lost two girls to coyotes, and I've chased the coyotes off several times now. So they are tuned into our yard as a good snack spot. I was going to add the question about jumping fences. Most sites talk about how coyotes can easily sail over a 5 or 6 ft. fence, but I think that even so a fence might deter them somewhat.

I have heard donkeys are good as well, but I have also heard they have been attacked sometimes.

I would not HURT the coyotes ether. Roosters are only warning animals. Coyotes have no preference as to hen or roo for dinner. Coyotes are capable of climbing over fences. Obviously they will pass on very tall ones. My suggestion would be fencing with a HOT WIRE electrification. This does not hurt the animal. It does give a nice deterrent to go somewhere else. I have read also that some peeps bait their hot wire with strips of chicken skin , or bacon , or whatever. If you could send them away, I think would be your best option.
Wishing you best....... :thumbsup

Lots depends on where you live, what the urban/wild interface is.
Here in the Rocky Mountain West, we have coyotes, mountain lions, wolves, but the coyotes are most obvious.
The dogs keep them out of the area around the house. Local sheep and cattle ranchers use dogs: Pyranees are especially good for wide ranging sheep herds, Catahoulas are good for guarding cattle and for treeing mountain lions.
Our pet dogs are a Catahoula (the chicks are hers!) and a flat coat retriever.... In a previous life, friends used goats or llamas to babysit vulnerable herds/flocks.
Goats are great if you can keep them happy.
Depending on where you live, the first line of defense is likely hot wire. This will help with coyotes, fox, raccoons, etc. good luck!

where i live too many coyotes to free range, (just yesterday went out side and saw 5-6 coyotes while checking the fence line of my dads horses)

we run an electric fence in the summer (the chickens and ducks are in a fence paddock area sorta thing) so far for over a year we have not lost a single bird in our system. (now am also a believer in removing the animal/predators that pose a risk/danger to my pets and live stock)

but keep in mind coyotes come back to where they find food as far as i know. so they get a taste of your birds there going to keep coming back till there is no more food for them. so you know you may have to kill them. (am going to be trapping the ones around my place)

I'm also having problems with neighbors leaving their dogs out, we kinda fixed the issue but I'm always on the lookout to see if the neighbor's dog comes again.

In my opinion, I think my roosters help a lot. One of my roosters is always on the lookout, vigilant and alert of his surrounding. One time when the neighbor's dog came, I found half the flock hiding in the bushes, and he was standing there, looking around making sure it was safe for the rest of the flock to go out. But it depends a lot on the breed and personality of the rooster. Since one of my roosters are a big wussy, he just runs away and leaves the hens behind and goes hide. But for the most part, I never regret the day I got the rosters.

If you get lucky and get a really good rooster, he will risk his life to save the flock. I've heard roosters might crow if the chickens are under attack to pretty much lead the predator to him. Rooster could fight off a few animals actually, I found a thread with some good info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-predators-can-roosters-actually-kill-fend-off.576373/

Now I have a dog. I've trained him to leave the chickens alone, but like you said, I would never trust my dog to be left alone for a long period of time outside with the chickens, but he does his job well and always alerts me when a strange animal comes, the only bad thing is he never attacks his own kind, he just wags his tail and looks. I'm not sure what kind of animal would be a good guard, but hopefully, someone else can answer.

Not sure about the fence, build a tall fence? or you could invest in a barbed wire fence?

Thanks everyone, I'm so appreciative of all of your input.

Goats are great if you can keep them happy.

I was thinking that the coyotes would kill goats no? Honestly I'd love to have goats, but was worried about them. Do you actually think they would help?

Back
Top Bottom