Coyote Protection

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OCchick, Feb 8, 2009.

1. OCchick

OCchick New Egg

Feb 8, 2009
    Orange County California
    I am new to chickens and am setting up a run for then on the side of my house. Two sides of the run will be a block wall the third side will be my coop. I am planning on running a chicken wire cage along the 4th side and the top of the run. My question is: We have Coyotes, Possum and racoons in the neighborhood. Is chicken wire strong enough to keep them out? They can not dig under it, but my husband says they can tear through it. Any experience or advice out there? Should I use a smaller heavier wire?

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Yes ma'am, they certainly can tear through chicken wire!! You need to use hardware cloth with holes small enough to keep out predators dirty little grabby fingers like 1" x 1/2". And, if you have coyotes around, I'd also put electrical fencing along the bottom and then up another foot or foot and a half.

I'm sorry. Forgot to say [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes. Use Hardware cloth. It's the chicken Farmers friend. Impossible for coons to reach their little 'ol paws inside and grab your birds and impossible for the 'yotes to break in. Also put up some electric wire. And git a Dog!!!!! A Great Pryanees is one of the best guard dogs. I've heard that if a 'yote won't leave after the dog barked and snarled at it. It'll attack and kill it. Put chainlink wire on the top of your run.

4. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Yes so did I!!! [​IMG]

5. OCchick

OCchick New Egg

Feb 8, 2009
    Orange County California
    Thanks so much for the seasoned advice! I'll definitley go with the hardware cloth.

6. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Personally, I would go even farther than that.

I put 1/2" x 1" welded wire mesh all around the lower portions of my pen. It is much stronger than hardware cloth -- and, unfortunately, also more expensive. But it will keep out even the most determined critter, as long as it is attached securely. [​IMG]

7. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    hotwire, hotwire, hotwire!!!!!! and dont get the dog fencer,, get the horse fencer.. stronger shock

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have electric wires going around the outside of the fence for my chicken yard. There is a picture on my BYC Page.

9. littlefarm_bighappy

littlefarm_bighappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    I concur with all of the above. When our nieghbors first moved in, we used to hate the barking their great Pyrenees did at night. But now that winter has set in and we have known her to chase foxes and coyotes out of the vicinity, we LOVE her.
    Our labrador is uselss at guarding, but an awesome family friend/retriever.

10. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Wow cmom love your place, can i move in.lol We just have a half acre but i hope to have it that nice some day. Good job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by