Coyote Protection

OCchick

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Orange County California
I am new to chickens and am setting up a run for then on the side of my house. Two sides of the run will be a block wall the third side will be my coop. I am planning on running a chicken wire cage along the 4th side and the top of the run. My question is: We have Coyotes, Possum and racoons in the neighborhood. Is chicken wire strong enough to keep them out? They can not dig under it, but my husband says they can tear through it. Any experience or advice out there? Should I use a smaller heavier wire?

Yes ma'am, they certainly can tear through chicken wire!! You need to use hardware cloth with holes small enough to keep out predators dirty little grabby fingers like 1" x 1/2". And, if you have coyotes around, I'd also put electrical fencing along the bottom and then up another foot or foot and a half.

I'm sorry. Forgot to say
welcome-byc.gif
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Yes. Use Hardware cloth. It's the chicken Farmers friend. Impossible for coons to reach their little 'ol paws inside and grab your birds and impossible for the 'yotes to break in. Also put up some electric wire. And git a Dog!!!!! A Great Pryanees is one of the best guard dogs. I've heard that if a 'yote won't leave after the dog barked and snarled at it. It'll attack and kill it. Put chainlink wire on the top of your run.

Personally, I would go even farther than that.

I put 1/2" x 1" welded wire mesh all around the lower portions of my pen. It is much stronger than hardware cloth -- and, unfortunately, also more expensive. But it will keep out even the most determined critter, as long as it is attached securely.
smile.png

I have electric wires going around the outside of the fence for my chicken yard. There is a picture on my BYC Page.

I concur with all of the above. When our nieghbors first moved in, we used to hate the barking their great Pyrenees did at night. But now that winter has set in and we have known her to chase foxes and coyotes out of the vicinity, we LOVE her.
Our labrador is uselss at guarding, but an awesome family friend/retriever.

Back
Top Bottom