coyote sighting near our house...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by logansmommy7, Jan 1, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley
    Ok-I'm officially freaked...a neighbor just told me that he saw a coyote in the cornfield next to our house-not directly next to our field but within sight. I would be devastated if one killed any of my goats or chickens. We will definitely kill one if we saw it but I am worried about night time. My chickens are locked up at night so that isn't too much of a worry and my goats are kept in a stall with a pallet across the door so they are relatively protected...what else do I do to keep these away? We have a dog but he stays in at night, so that won't help. Any advice is much appreciated...

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Amazing how many coyotes there are out there.

We have some that frequent our inner city neighborhood from time to time.

3. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I would vote for electric wire, one at the bottom, one in the middle and one on top. We have a lot of coyotes, they haven't bothered my chickens, it is odd but they seem to have to many other goodies around I guess, and my chickens are very close to the house. I would worry most about the goat, just seem to be easy prey, but I don't really know.

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Some farmers in this area run a goat with their sheep for coyote protection , but would not take that to the bank as proof coyotes will not kill a goat . Some claim it works , others say not . Guess it depends on the nature of the goat and if the coyotes are attacking as a pair or family . In fall and winter I've seen coyotes , not a pack animal in the true sence , running together in what I assume is a parent pair with their nearly grown litter .

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    electric fence!!!!!

Haven't read your other thread about the guard dog yet, but you do not have time to train a dog. And ready built dogs are way expensive. Electric fence-- as little as $75 or as expensive as you want. One day or less of work and your done.

I wouldn't "freak out" about the coyote. Do you think your nieghbor saw the very first one in you area. Probably not, they been there for as long as dirt.

6. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Quote:I agree!
    I have loads of coyote around here and they never come close enough into the barnyards. They usually run the same path every 3 weeks or so and as long as they have enough small game like rabbits and such they shouldn't come in for the chickens. They don't like to be too close to us. I'm sure they've been around and you just weren't aware.

7. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    A donkey or a big gun. Donkey will kill 'em almost as efficiently as a gun.

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Miltonchix nailed it. Donkey will kill them every time. In Tennessee, horse owners will keep donkeys with their horses for this very purpose. Horse fence or field fence with fence charger is good, but will require constant weed control all during the growing season to keep from grounding out the charge. Easiest if fence is first set well within property and property is graded smooth beforehand. Then mower can make passes outside of fence weekly to keep hot wires cleared. That is the problem with an electrified fence. Could just do the top strand, but coyotes are great jumpers too, so fence needs to be 6 ft for the fencetop-only hot wire to work well. While you are at it, could make it harder for smaller preds to enter property too.[​IMG]

9. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    we had a bear sighting and a panther sighting near my house its pretty freaky i worry about my flock with those two things. heck i worry about my family and the neighbors

10. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    When we first bought this farm we trapped 17 coyote in the month of January alone. I bought 4 mammoth donkeys and they will kill them. A standard is good as well but do not get a miniature donkey. They are not big enough to take care of the coyote particularly if they are in packs which they do run in. Also use a gelding. I breed and raise miniature donkeys and have 20. I got the mammoths to protect the minis. Also, if you don't have a horse for companionship, don't get a single donkey. They really will be lonely without another donkey or at least a horse.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by