coyote took my sussex..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by anniep, Aug 9, 2011.

1. anniep

anniep Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    A coyote entered our property and killed my spotted sussex hen:hit, he ran off into the woods with it, and when I followed his trail, I found a freshly laid chicken egg along the path. It was lying down between branches of fallen timber and not in a location that a hen could have earlier laid it there. My husband and I are debating whether or not she was in the woods laying the egg before the coyote came, or if it could be that the egg fell from her dead body while the coyote carried her away. I contend that her egg fell from her body, because she would never have laid an egg in the woods, she had never ventured into the forest before this tragedy. My husband contends its impossible for a dead chicken to "drop" an egg after death.
    Has anyone ever heard of an egg falling from a chicken who is dead, or in the process of dying? She was such a sweet, pretty little hen....I hate coyotes today.

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I am so sorry about your hen. I don't see why she might not have dropped an egg while getting carried off. Sometimes eggs are amazingly resilient . I have dropped them on the ground and have them not crack. I had 2 Sussex pullets killed by black vultures in my pasture. I am not fond of those varmints either
    :-(

3. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Never had a deceased hen drop an egg. However, I have picked up a hen that an egg just fell out of her. I think it's a strong possibility. So, sorry for your loss. I hate coyotes, too. They are all over here where I live in NW Ga.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Sorry about your hen [​IMG]
    Many years ago i had a neighbors dog come down here and attacked one of my hens and she popped out an egg during the attack so you hen may have done the same thing.

5. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    sorry for your loss of the hen [​IMG] i hate coyotes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by