Coyote Trouble.

rachaelakers

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013
My adventures are endless with these chickens. I am amazed at how much I like them. At around 5:45am a lone coyote broke into our coop. Thank goodness I was awake. As soon as I heard the commotion. I sent Moose (our big manly catahoula leopard dog) (who is very gun shy.) I had a BB Gun in tote) out to get the coyote. He stood on the deck. Staring at me. With all the screaming commotion down in the yard. WIMP! So I can in the house got dressed and ran out with Riley's BB gun. (That I have never shot) Takes me a good 30 seconds to get one fired off at it. (I'm lucky I found that thing because my next choice was the 9mm) #jailtime*** But it has since ran off. I searched around the yard and found two of the three of my chickens up by the house underneath my bedroom window.(I knew they were there because they were both screaming out, something came and tried to eat us alarms) Picked both of them up, (they came willingly as to say "please save us!") I put them up in the coop and locked it. As this point I figured the **** coyote had taken one of them. But I walked the backyard just to make sure. Finally I walked up upon a very shaken hen. Her feathers were all ruffled up. But she was alive and still had the ability to run from me. But I did catch her and I looked her over. Just some messed up feathers is all I could find. I will look her over better once it is daylight. (Not a fan of not being able to see in the woods.) Holy cow. What a crazy morning in the dark cold snow. The things I do for those goofy hens.

How does everyone protect from coyotes? Or is there any kind of product out there that will keep them away?

Two products: a small game license and your 9mm. Where do you live. Most states allow you to protect your live stock on your own land,outside of city limits, without having a license.

We are in Southwest Ohio. And yes. I can legally shoot them. But not when there is a house behind mine about a half a mile away. And our coop is at the very far fence of our yard. So even if I went after the coyote I would end up on the neighbors property. And we technically live in city limits. So I cant discharge a firearm. But my BB gun did pretty well.

Maybe you can place an ad and hire a local trapper. Coyotes are pretty savvy about traps. I am confused. You said you can legally shoot them but can't because you live in the city limits??? So you can or you can't? How about a shotgun or finding someone with one to help you out? Best of luck to you!

I cant discharge a firearm in city limits. I am tempted to take him with my cross bow in the morning. Just stake him out. But I havent decided just yet. I have called a few of my friends about traps. Regardless. He will be removed.

clap.gif
On the removal - good decision.

Back
Top Bottom