1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coyote urine..... does it work?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sixofus09, Jul 22, 2011.

1. sixofus09

sixofus09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I recently ran into some problems with preditors. No damage to my fence, but I did leave my gable vents unprotected 12' up in the air. I figure it took , what ever it was, a week to find a way in. Im really stumped. I figured i would see some form or climbing marks or fur or something.... nothing. I built everything pretty well except for the overlooked gable vents. l hope this is it. I really didnt want to trap and kill, but after 17 birds enough is enough. I figured I would try some coyote urine. Has anyone tried this? Does it seem to work? Can it cause more problems? I just figured I would ask. Im in the seacoast area of NH if that helps.

2. fishin-nole

fishin-nole Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Cover the vents with hardware cloth.

3. sixofus09

Jun 9, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I covered them. Im just playing the waiting game now. I just built everything due to other deaths. I was really suprised with this last mess.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Urine is more likely to attract predators than repel them

5. sixofus09

Jun 9, 2011
    New Hampshire
    they got two more. Nothing but feathers left from both of them. I have no idea how they did it im really confused. I found a spot in my run they could have got in where my fence meets the net covering. Two spots where i didnt put zip ties close enough and the net had a wrinkle so it made an opening if you messed with it. Still with chicken wire not much for a climbing path up. Even if they got in that way they would have to find a way to open the chicken door which is inclosed in a track. I was going to get some today but now I dont know if I should. Ive lost so many maybe the ones that have survived can make it the rest of the way. So annoyed. Looks like im buying a trap.

6. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Try it and see. I know my male dogs marking my fence is what keeps the predators out of my yard. My hen house is not secured at all. Its an old boat shed. Not much way of me making it secure.
    A little over a year ago I had started keeping the dogs out of the garden/chicken yard. Big Mistake. One night April '10 I lost 6 hens to something. Dug under the fence and went right into the hen house. What a mess. It came back the next night but I had crated the remaining 5 hens. Then it dawned on me what I had read about dogs/men urinating along the fence line to keep predators out.
    So I opened the garden gate and let the dogs in. Now, every morning the gate gets opened and I tell the dogs to go potty and point into the garden. They do. Every night the gate gets closed when I close the hen house. I mainly close it to keep the hens in, coz anything can get in without much problem. But the marking works, coz my dogs are crated inside at night, they arent even out in the yard.

pam in TX

7. Thornius

Thornius New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    Quote:True! Use it to ATTRACT predators...to your traps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by