Coyote!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by birdmomma, Sep 16, 2011.

1. birdmomma

birdmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Loveland, OH
    humph - just saw a coyote trot by in my neighbors yard - fortunately the blue jays pitched a fit, so I went out to check. My girls are all confined now (still hear the jays yelling, so it's still out there) - now I have big issues. I've got the windows open since the weather's great, but what if I hadn't heeded the jays?

Our yard is fenced but I know that foxes and coyotes can jump this easily - is an enclosed run the only thing I can do now?

2. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Do you happen to have a male dog? I have coyotes all around my property and not once has one come onto my land. I have 1 unfixed male dog and I take him around to mark his territory and do his thing and I swear this is what is keeping them away. I have heard them and seen them but no fatalities have ever happened and I really think it is because they smell the male dog here.

3. birdmomma

birdmomma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Loveland, OH
    We have a neutered miniature poodle - do you think they'll smell wimpiness? [​IMG]

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Dogs do help. I have 4. I hear coyotes all the time but they never come on my property. Thank goodness. But a gun is very helpful too. Good luck and I hope everyone stays safe and sound.

6. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    We have our girls in an enclosed run, but I still worry about the coyotes here because one of my dogs is small and I also have a young child. We have coyotes in the area, and not to far from here there were news reports of them attacking pets and kids. We live right around the corner from a horse farm and they shoot the coyotes because they attack they colts. I have heard that the smell of our urine deters them so I have been encouraging my hubby and son to pee near the run....[​IMG]

7. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't let your little Poodle out unattended when there are coyotes about....they will attack and kill small dogs.....

8. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

we have a lot of coyotes around here too- but I'm out in the country, it's expected. When I was a kid, our chickens free ranged and we'd come home to chicken-massacres that happened during the day! Coyotes are sneaky, and they don't just come out at night. I've seen coyotes in my back pasture where the horses are loping along during the afternoon. We finally put up a run and kept all the chickens in it-- no more killings. Now that I have my own place and am building my own coop, I see no other option than to build a very secure run with a top. But I have all kinds of predators out here. [​IMG] Right night I've had a pesky raccoon having parties in my horse barn- dragging buckets and empty feed bags around and just investigating things. I wasn't sure what he was until he climbed up on my truck window and left his hand prints. I want peace of mind without having to worry about trapping and going after all the predators around here. I'm just going to build something that can keep everyone safe and call it a day.

9. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:They will smell dinner....

Can you "borrow" a bigger male dog?? My dane mutt is neutered, but the cyotes still respect his territory.

This morning I heard howling and yipping at the end of my driveway. I went out and this poor lady was riding a horse with another on a lead following. Her dog was trotting along beside. A coyote jumped at her dog. It scared the horses and the one she was on bucked. She dropped the lead and the second horse ran down the road a bit. No one was hurt, but it took us a little bit to calm all her critters down, before she could continue on her way. Of course my dogs barking like crazy from the back yard didnt help matters much.

The coyote surprised me. I haven't seen one do that before. It backed off accross a field and just watched for a few minutes before heading on his way.

10. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:My males are all neutered (before 6 mo) and they keep other critters out here in the country at bay. It's the fact that you have a dog, not because he's intact.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by