Coyote?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bzbrown, Oct 29, 2011.

1. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Last night one of my dogs emptied her entire food bowl into her water bowl (we feed dogs indoors). To avoid her tipping the food filled water bowl on my floor (I knew this was coming next) I took it outside and tossed it by the back fence. I even thought to myself, the mice will get it tonight.

This morning I woke to find a 1 foot deep hole exactly where the food had been dumped. We have a 6 foot wood fence butted to an alley in a semi residental neighborhood. There were no tracks near the hole on the inside of the fence. In the alley, there were a few paw type tracks. I assume whatever it was smelled the food (dumb on me I know) dug under, ate, and scrammed. It def did not go near the coop, the ground is soft there, even the doves and quail leave tracks so I'd had known. I filled in the hole of course.

I've never seen a live coyote around here. I hear them, but the only ones I've seen were road kill on the highway and they seem to be about the size of a small dog. So the hole size seems to fit a local coyote.

My question is does that sound like a coyote? Dig, grab dog food (it was about 1 cup worth) and run, not even investigate yard? We're in the foothills of Joshua Tree National Forest so I know there are lots of preditors, but up until last night they seemed to leave the backyard alone.

Also, is the general idea that once they find food somewhere they will come back, or do they use their noses always, not rely on memory?

The run is enclosed, and the coop is in the run with a locking door and solid floor, but I really don't want the challenge. Tomorrow I'm making upgrades.

My other thought is fox. I've never seen one, but the park ranger says they come down in the neighborhood.

ETA: My dogs (3 labradors) are inside at night, and during the day in a separate yard than the one dug into.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Sounds like a coyote to me. They will grab an easy meal and take off. But be warned he will return to look for more.

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Coyotes normally will push the fox into the neighborhoods the yote will be out at the edges of the neighborhoods more out in the county then in town if they ever get rid of the fox completely they will come into the neighborhoods

this was pretty interesting reading ,going by this looks like your yote is a subspecies there is a little info about them at the bottom of the page

just looking at google maps this is probally overstating the obvious but it don,t appear y'all have an excess of water the critter might be seeking water as much as food

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Sounds like it may have been a coon--they love dog food. I've never known coyotes to be that determined for something to eat.

5. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Wouldn't a racoon just hopped on the fence? It's only 6 foot high. I've never seen any around here, but I know that means nothing lol...

Regardless whatever it was did not come back last night, or at least did not come back via the under the fence route..

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    looks like the national; forest you are beside has swift foxes and coyotes I did not see anything about other mammals you might poke around on their website a bit

7. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    Quote:I am an exterminator in ontario and coyotes are very common now even in the city. There have even been cases ( very rare) theat the coyote has attacked and ran off with a small dog that was being walked by its owner on a leash. as far as the raccoon climbing over the fence it could but they are odd animals and i have seen them dig a huge hole to get under a fence that they could have easily walkd around. So it is posible it could be a raccoon or a coyote. They both love dog food. When i live trap raccons i often use dog or cat food for bait. But long story short is that i would not rule coyote out cause you live in the city.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by