Coyotes are after my calves! UPDATE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Pumpkinpup, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    This morning we found that my first time momma, Bobbie, had her ear badly mangled due to fighting off coyotes. She has a new baby that is only about a week old and they were after it. She had stashed baby in a brush pile and was very uneasy. She even ran the family lab out of the pasture completely with much ferver. She has never been aggressive toward the dog before so I am positive that she understands that canines are a threat to baby. this is a very good thing but I am most worried that perhaps she can not fend a pack off a second time. I fear they may come back now that they know there is a baby in the pasture. i will just die if anything happens to that little heifer! I looked for a jack today but had no luck. I am still beating the bushes and maybe I will find one very soon [​IMG]
    I have other heifers due to calve soon. i need a guardian quickly!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bless her heart for being a good mom. I am thinking maybe get her into a barn or stall if possible, maybe drive a vehicle out in the pasture and try taking cat naps with someone else looking and wait for the varmits..

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    OH NO!!!! Poor Poor baby!!! Can you lock up the momma and baby somewhere safe until you figure out how to protect them? Gosh I hope it was just a one time thing [​IMG]

4. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Bobbie is a very good mommy! I am so proud of her, poor thing. She got chewed up pretty bad [​IMG]
    I have the boys on critter watch tonight and pray I can find a guardian tomorrow.

5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    My suggestion would be to look for a couple of ADULT livestock guardian dogs that have been working with cows already. If you've got
    A pack of coyotes, you'll need more than one dog because part of the pack will distract a lone dog away from the calf and the rest of the pack is free to move in. If you don't have a barn or some kind of safe enclosure for the interim, I'd be sitting up with a gun. Either that or try to locate a local tracker to come and eliminate them. Good luck with it, it's so stressful when something like this is happening.

6. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:I don't think a dog is the answer as the cows now see any dog as a threat. I don't think they will accept a canine as a guardian. That is why I am looking for a jack.

7. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    wow. that is so horrible, please find a way to lock them up..and shoot those coyotes. They won't give up if they are really hungry.
    One dog isn't enough, you need a pack of dogs.
    good luck

8. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Quote:I don't think a dog is the answer as the cows now see any dog as a threat. I don't think they will accept a canine as a guardian. That is why I am looking for a jack.

DOH!! [​IMG] Good point. Then I would certainly take whatever measures necessary to remove the coyotes from your property. I'm not familiar with cows.... Do you think they might relax about the dogs after a bit or do they have memories like elephants? I've just heard mixed results with Jacks and Llamas and such. There is SUCH peace of mind with the LGDs

9. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia

DOH!! [​IMG] Good point. Then I would certainly take whatever measures necessary to remove the coyotes from your property. I'm not familiar with cows.... Do you think they might relax about the dogs after a bit or do they have memories like elephants? I've just heard mixed results with Jacks and Llamas and such. There is SUCH peace of mind with the LGDs

I agree that LGD's would have been the choice if there were not the fear factor of the cattle. I wish I had done this before baby was born but it's a little late to fret about that now [​IMG]
    Cattle will remember and I seriously doubt that they will ever let a canine in the pasture again if they can help it.
    I have neighbors with jacks and they have all said good things about them. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out well for me also.
    I was looking into a LGD for my nubians already but just have not found a grown dog that will fit the bill.

10. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you hastily string some electric wire? Would it take a while for a jack or dogs to get up to guarding speed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by