Coyotes Are Back

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by herfrds, Jan 18, 2011.

1. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Luckily my birds have been locked in for almost a week due to the cold weather.
    The coyotes were after our dogs.

Son went out to get the dogs in because we could hear them barking and came running back inside there was a coyote just on top of the hill looking down at him and the dogs.
    He shot at it with his.22 to scare it off. The dogs were now inside. I was looking for our spot light and he came running back in the house again, right after he had fired the gun he heard something bark to his right down by our barn.

Calling the federal trapper today. Going to call a guy I know who has friends looking for a place to hunt coyotes.

2. Caincando1

Caincando1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    Quote:That would be my suggestion. I you can get some local hunter to come out they will probably thin them out realy quick.

3. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    grab a plastic barrel and turn it on it's side.Anchor it in the ground,and put a loop snare at the opening.Then throw a carcass it there.Viola' a coyote/coon trap.

4. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Great idea grendel. Never would have thought of that.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Most times if you are using a snare you want the animal moving full steam that is what makes a snare work you need to check your game laws concerning snaring before you set one.

I worked in Pa for a while the really large ( 24") drain pipes that are plastic one end of the pipe was buried under a dirt hill the other end was up in the air somehow a chicken slid down the pipe it could not get out of the pipe because the angle was too great a coyote tried to get the chicken the yote could not get out either far as I know that farm is still using that "Trap" to get rid of yotes with

6. bgates1970

bgates1970 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Elko, MN
    You could contact your local Turkey Federation or Pheasants Forever to ask if they could post something on their site, bulletin board or newsletter asking for "Help" to exterminate some coyote.

If I lived closer to you I would love to help out. I suppose you could contact that guy from Predator Quest. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  7. Caincando1

Caincando1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    Quote:Les sure can call in yotes, that's for sure.

8. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Well that was not fun.
    We had coyotes howling in all 4 directions last night trying to lure our dogs out.
    Had a pack of 5 north of us that were the closest. They now number 3.

Called the guys and we are waiting to hear back from them.

9. herfrds

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Heard back from the hunters and they are getting everything lined up and are going to come out and thin out the pack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by