Coyotes attack 6 year old in Rye NY. 2nd Child in Rye Attacked

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NYboy, Jun 27, 2010.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Coyotes attacked a 6 year old girl playing in her front yard. 2 coyotes bit a 6 year old several times. Luckily the girls mother was in their side yard and heard the attack. She chased them off her daughter. The girl had bites to her head, neck, shoulders and legs. Police have not been able to locate the coyotes. Tue night another child was attacked in their backyard!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. lizzy06019

lizzy06019 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    That is SOOOO scary! Wow, I hope the little girl will be OK.

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Ouchers, I hope the little girl heals up quickly.I feel bad for her, prob has to go thru all those rabies shots [​IMG]

4. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Oh my gosh! That is horrible! I do hope she is ok. Man her mom must have gone into "mama lion" mode! I know I would have.

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am curious to see if they do catch the coyotes if they dont infact turn out to be CoyDogs... It is soo rare for coyotes to attack a human....

6. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I agree with coopcrazy, coyotes usually only will attack when cornered, they want to get away from humans. If coyotes attack a human they are usually sick (i.e. rabid) or there are way too many and they are starving. They may also have become used to humans and there is no hunting pressure, sounds like they need to have some hunters come in and thin the packs.

7. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Coyotes, will attack anything they consider food, a young child would be a distinct possibility.

Never under estimate any member of the canine family.

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:X2 they do not reason they are just hungry it is merely food to them just a larger piece of food then normal

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Poor kid! Imagine all she is going to have to go through physically, mentally and emotionally to deal with this! They definitely need a gun on hand and watch for those b------- again.

10. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

if coyotes are not scared of people too much, they might attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by