Coyotes Getting Bold

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by A Dunne, Jan 30, 2011.

1. A Dunne

A Dunne Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    This didnt happen at my place but out at my parents this weekend.
    It was the last time at night I take the dachshunds out, still had one outside (on a leash, I always have them on a leash there.).
    I looked up and right at the end of a driveway was a coyote.
    I picked up the dog and backed up to the porch door (close) and went inside.
    This morning there were tracks all over.
    Its unprecedented (sp?) because they have never had them come up around the buildings and bother anything.
    I guess I shouldnt have been surprised because deer are coming right up under the kitchen window to eat birdseed. They never came that close either.
    I am sure its because of the tough winter we are having.

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    All I can say is .... sidearm! oh, and WOW!

3. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Yes..to close for comfort, glad your dogs didn't fall victim.Whats amazing is so many folks don't really believe they are such a threat.There are allot of recent, documented attacks on pets , children and adults..! I posted a link awhile back concerning such attacks. A young Canadian woman, a singer was killed by coyotes while strolling through a park last year.
    I'm all for live and let live, but when coyotes are in your driveway, yard and right up to your house,thats a BIG problem...! Be careful people, the coyote population is growing in leaps and bounds.They are definitly expanding there range and getting more aggressive with people (mostly small children),livestock and pets....!!

4. A Dunne

Dec 28, 2010
    When I was growing up out at the family place we didnt have coyotes. I was 18 when I left and when I returned home a few years later, there were plenty!
    Yeah, I am sure if it was hungry enough, me being there wouldnt have been TOO large a deterrent on it going after the dog.
    I have always heard they are braver in packs than one alone but he sure didnt look afraid to ME! [​IMG]

5. 5pinkarrows

5pinkarrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I used to let my chickens free range around the house during the day. In September, I had 2 chickens disappear from my driveway, about 4 feet from the door. A few days later, my daughter was trying to move the other 2 chickens from the fenced in yard back to the coop and was having trouble. I told her I would help as soon as I finished the chore I was in the middle of. 20 minutes later, we went outside and they were gone. One was back the next morning. She is fast and flighty, so I am sure she made it into a tree. But it was soooo sad! Since then we have been careful to keep them inside the fenced in back yard. 2 days ago, my daughter heard the chickens yelling and went out there to find a coyote BANGING himself into the fence trying to get in. Talk about bold! The dog went after him, but it really freaked us out. I can't stand for chickens to be shut up in a coop all day every day, so we have to let them out. We just have the rule that the dog has to be out with them. She is pretty protective, but she has cancer and I don't know what we'll do once she isn't around to keep them safe. I am not letting my kids outside without the dogs, either. SCARY!!!

6. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    You can get a .22 mag that will kill them and let them know they are not welcome.
    We have had trouble with coyotes going after our Corgis.

Do a search there are alot of threads concerning coyotes on here.
    Stay safe.

7. 5pinkarrows

Oct 22, 2010
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Our smallest dog is 55lbs, and the coyotes here in AZ are smaller than most places. I hope that keeps us a little safer. We have shot several javelinas, but the coyotes run off before we are able to get a gun.

8. A Dunne

Dec 28, 2010
    I am on another board and a member said that a neighbor of hers shot a coyote yesterday that was ON HER PORCH and devouring her little dog. I think the consensus was that it was an old coyote and couldnt catch much else? Still, how awful.[​IMG]
    We do have guns at both houses. I just posted this because of the surprise it gave me and to maybe make people even more aware to watch their pets and livestock.

9. 5pinkarrows

Oct 22, 2010
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Quote:YIKES!!! That is sooo sad. A friend of my daughters' watched as 2 coyotes came and carried off her little dog once. Talk about breaking a little girl's heart! I know they just want to eat, but sheesh!

10. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    God help our little pets and chickens... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by