Coyotes got my mom’s little dogs!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BettyR, Jul 29, 2008.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    People wonder why I keep two 150-pound mastiffs as house pets well that’s why.

I’m so upset, my mom had two dogs one was a mix breed that showed up after Hurricane Rita; she put a found dog ad in the paper for a couple of weeks but nobody claimed him so she kept him. She also had a little Miniature Pincher.

She kept both dogs in the house and only let them out to go bathroom in the yard, I don’t know if they wandered off into the woods and got attacked there or if the coyotes had come up into the yard but they killed the little mix breed. The little min-pin managed to get away and back to the house. He was badly torn up and they rushed him to the vet but the little guy didn’t make it.

I feel so bad for her but I don’t know what to do. She keeps insisting on having these little dogs. If the little dogs are good about staying right up next to the house and not wandering too far away she can keep them but if they go out into the woods that’s all she wrote.

My mom is going to be 80 years old in September and she really enjoys having her little dogs. I know she is going to ask me to help her find another dog and I really don’t want to tell her no but I feel really bad helping her find another dog to feed to the coyotes.

What would you do?

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Is there any way you could help her build a small fence or run for them to go out to the bathroom in? Those 10X10 pre made dog kennels could do that job too, or...and I know this isn't a wonderful solution, but those tiny dogs can be trained to go on those pee pads that come in a pack and then those are just thrown away.
    We have labs and a border collie outside, but we also have 2 Pomeranians inside that are only taken out on a leash for the same reason....we have tons of coyotes that are not shy about coming up into the pasture from our woods. The Poms are both trained to go on the pads and it's been easy to use those when it's raining too hard out or we are gone too long etc.

3. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    Oh my goodness, how scary! I am so sorry.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I agree on the fence.

Premade chainlink dog runs cost $100-$300, depending on the style you want. Get your mom one that 6' tall(coyotes jump) as a heartfelt gift. Make sure you explain why and she'll realize how much thought went into the gift. Instead of just turning the dogs loose to go to the bathroom, just have them go inside the kennel. No fear of the running off and getting shredded!

I've heard that some coyotes will go over a fence to get a dog, but that could be resolved by putting a top on the chainlink run.

Yeah, you have to spend money to purchase it, but in the long run, it will be much cheaper(and less heartbreaking) than having to replace and repair attacked dogs.

-Kim

5. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i understand your concern but she's gonna be 80, help her get a new dog. can she keep it on a leash when it goes out so she is with it? maybe a small little dog run off of a doggie door that she can seal shut at night to keep pup in. there has got to be a way she can have a dog without it becoming coyote snack.

6. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

What a sad situation! Please give her our sympathy! I feel for you too trying to help her... Having a run for them or using the wee-wee pads inside...that poster had great ideas and I know people who do both with weiner dogs and shnauzers. Another idea is one that my SIL does...Her shnauzer goes out to go potty, but she has her 15' leash on a hook right by the back door. She hooks her right out without ever having to step outside, watches her through the window and then her dog comes back to the door and all she has to do is unhook the leash and hang it on the hook. When her elderly MIL stays with them, she hooks their dog out with no trouble. Again, I am so sorry for your losses and this terrible experience. Keep us posted on how your mom is doing and what happens going forward. Take care!

7. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Please give her my condolences! That is so sad, I could never even begin to imagine that... [​IMG]

8. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Yes, an enclosed dog run is a great idea. Coyotes here in AZ are known to hunt in packs. They use a female in heat to lure even good sized dogs out of their yards to be attacked by the pack.

Very scary!!

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    That is so sad. Tell her I am sorry for her loss. Maybe you could get a nice larger dog at the humane society that is really mellow. Hey, the larger they are the more there is to hug!!! [​IMG]

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Your mom must be devastated. We have two Welsh corgis and worry ourselves sick when the coyotes are about; they've already killed our cat. Coyotes are really brave around here. Best wishes for whatever decision you make for your mom and getting other dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by