Coyotes got to all my ducks :(

Emmytheduckgirl

Songster
Aug 1, 2019
Hey BYC. Today was one of the worst days of my life! In the morning I went out to feed all the animals and I found all three of my ducks dead from a coyote. This is so hard for me! I can’t believe it happened! I luckily was able to collect some eggs from them so I can hopefully get some babies and keep the family line going. May Bailey, Beatrice, and Daisy Rest In Peace I love and miss all of you duckies! They are in a way better place now swimming with their old pal Boe!

I’m so sorry! I had someone’s dog kill six of my nine buckeye chickens a couple years ago and it was my very first flock. I understand how disheartening it is! I wonder if it was a neighborhood dog that got your ducks, the dog that got mine didn’t eat or drag them away, he just chased them and then was hanging out by a body when I found the scene.

I'm so sorry for your losses. My suggestion is if you have a camera put it up. most likely the predator has been lurking looking for an opportunity and found one. It will be back. Could be another predator. I had a bobcat kill 14 birds one night. You never know. Once you know for sure what the predator is, (unless you do know for sure) you can form a lpan on the next step. Good luck...

Thank you all for your condolences!!! I really appreciate it! If I’m completely honest it had to have been a coyote.

Not necessarily a coyote. It could have been a coyote but as others have said it could have been another predator. I have dealt with plenty of coyotes in the past and they usually carry off their kill. The bobcat seemed to only kill for the sport and left the bodies behind.
I think the coyotes know the electric wires are there and teach their young that a chicken is not worth getting zapped for.
A bobcat recently outside of my chick/grow-out coop. I also have electric wires around this coop and pen.
DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg

Back
Top Bottom