Coyotes, Hawks, and Swimming Pools

CMC

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
I want to trying raising chickens for two reasons; eggs and bug control.

I need smart and agile birds that can survive rural Southern California canyon life. I can cage them at night, but want them to forage on an abundance of snails, spiders and all sorts of other bugs during the day. If they are too fat and slow, like maybe Brahmas, the coyotes will pick them off. If they are too small, like maybe Appenzeller Spitzhauben or Ameraucana, I’m afraid the hawks will. I have a large fenced yard with a pool where the dogs could protect them from coyotes, but I’m wondering if the pool is only another hazard. There’s plenty of room in the fenced area – the pool and concrete deck are less than ¼ of the total area.

Any chance the chickens will stay away from the pool, or at least not fall in? Or is there any chicken out there with enough survival skills to avoid predators outside the fenced yard? (I tried raising Guineas, which worked out great until they started nesting far from the house, on the canyon floor, Coyotes picked them right off the nests that they were trying to hide from humans. I'm hoping to find something as smart as a Guinea, but willing to lay in a nesting box where I can keep them safe.)

Back
Top Bottom