Coyotes, Hawks, Eagles, and Owls....... Oh My!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by haagchick, Jul 31, 2013.

1. haagchick

haagchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    Buckley, WA.
    Our farm is sits near the White River. There is a variety of wild life. The Coyotes are in abundance. They are visible in the day, and come close to our house at night. A couple of years ago, in broad daylight, my almost 17 yr. old African goose, Pickles was killed in our yard. The hawks and Bald Eagles swoop down at small animals too. :(
    For this reason we do not let our chickens free roam our farm. I would really like
    to let them out....but I need them to feel safe, and be safe. Our chicken coop and enclosed run is next to the Llamas house. All this is surrounded by a tall fence. The Llamas guard the chickens. Its a perfect combination.
    Does anyone of you have this problem in your area? If so, what have you done to protect your flock?:oops:

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sounds like we have some of the same predators even though I'm half the country away. My best deterrent has been a chicken friendly dog. He has chased off and even killed come predators - including a coyote! I think just the smell of the dog in the area deters as well. Of course, it doesn't hurt to keep a scoped rifle handy!

2 people like this.
  3. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Out my kitchen window I have photographed a coyote, grey fox and mountain lion. Above my house, there are always at least 3-5 hawks circling. And I stumbled upon a black bear last week as it polished off 11 of my new chicks at 3 AM. After it broke in to my large coop a few months ago and ate all of my flock minus one, I installed a large electric fence with five hot wires. My birds were already housed in a solid wood coop at night, but he actually ripped the wall open to get to them. It was my fault for leaving the chicks in a relatively unprotected location, but since the coop had not been disturbed I did not think the bear would come up to the house with us around. I was wrong! Needless to say, my chickens also do not get free range, though I am considering an electric poultry net I can put up and allow them supervised time out of the run.

1 person likes this.
  4. haagchick

haagchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    Buckley, WA.
    Well it sure seems that we all have had problems with animals of prey. :/ all your ideas of how to protect your flock seem to be working for you...guess we just need to keep a few steps ahead of them. Thanks to both of you for your :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by