Coyotes-I TOLD you they were vicious!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ducks4you, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Have you seen THIS post (on the Suffificient Self forum:)?
    http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3573
    I' ve been on a thread about coyotes before here, and read several threads about coyotes. Many people don't think that they are a serious threat to people, but I disagree, and the above linked article proves it.
    Just FYI.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, that is so sad!

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If coyotes were a significant threat to people, I'd be dead. So would everyone who lives here. We have LOTS of coyotes. We see them almost every day. Close. I don't know the circumstances of the attack. I suspect they may have been starving. Starvation makes all critters, including people, do outlandish things. This is a tragedy, sure. But considering all the coyotes there are and all the people there are, how often has anything like this happened? I have heard of them going after children, but I have NEVER heard of them going after an adult person before.

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    This was an "FYI" post, NOT an all-points-bulletin. WE hear them every night in the fields behind us. I am not afraid of being attacked, BUT, I am very aware of them, and we count our 4 cats every night, because they might be attacked by one. I think they avoid our property because of the horses--I don't worry about THEM being attacked, either. I half suspect her attackers may have been "Curs," 1/2 coyote-1/2 dog. They aren't afraid of people.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

or maybe wolves? There are wolves here & in Alberta...so I am not sure if they weren't those or just feral dogs...

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Very interesting. I have become rather nonchalant about wandering around our property without a weapon, but I need to rethink my habits.

We hear the coyotes all around us on a regular basis. Whether it was coyotes or half-breed dogs in this attack, or whatever it was, it's always a good reminder that Mother Nature's creatures are not always...ummm....looking out for our best interests, let's say.

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Yeah...I ALWAYS have a knife on me...it's a good-sized Gerber & I take the dogs with me all of the time...which is better than nothing! I'm scared of cougars, though more than coyotes. Our dogs kill coyotes all the time...but the cougars....[​IMG]

8. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I bet those coyotes had rabies. That is the only way that a coyote will come close to you around here. And for them to attack and kill that poor girl something had to be wrong with them like others have said.

Great reminder that sometimes we aren't always at the top of the food chain.

9. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Some of you guys are forgetting that sometimes predators are different from region to region, and it probably has to do with food supply.

I've heard of coyotes attacking livestock like horses and cattle, but I've never heard of them doing it here where I live, and everyone in my area says they've never lost a horse or cattle to coyotes. There was a warning on the news last year about this time about buzzards attacking calves and kids. However, I've never had one attack and don't know of any who has either. But when they can't find any food, they'll attack something they can get a hold of.

Another example is deer. In the south they're more like prehistoric baby deer (sarcastic). They remind me (when I exaggerate) of the ones in the museum that are as small as a large dog. But in the north, like Illinois, they're big like moose. Yes, I'm exaggerating about how small the deer are here, but I'm not exaggerating about the ones in the north. Them are hearty for sure! Again, probably the food supply. In Illinois, you actually have to HUNT deer. In Tennessee, you just have to drive around until you see one because there are so many. That tends to thin out their grazing availablility.

It wouldn't surprise me that coyotes attacked a human, especially if they're food supply is lacking. Like some of you, I hear them nightly. My neighbors have seen them in their driveway in the middle of the day. I (knock on wood) don't have any problems from them, but I'd bet that would change if they were hungry ehough.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Agree. There is more to this story than is being publicized. An unprovoked, fatal attack on a human by a coyote is almost unheard of. And an attack on a human adult IS unheard of before now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by