Coyotes in Eastern NC?!?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by vfem, Oct 14, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I can't believe what I'm hearing. I was just told they have recovered 2 coyote bodies off of Hwy 42 near Johnston county/Wake county line! The man who owns the land my mother rents for her trailer has a farm near by and has lost several chickens, and cats. My mother has had 2 cats that disappeared in the last month and never came home.

I've been warned by my neighbors who have chickens that a friend of theirs recently lost ducks and chickens to an unknown critter?! But it had to be several somethings or something big because 6 of them were gone by morning.

I've never heard of Coyotes being this far east before. Is anyone else getting reports? I'm worrying about my girls since they free range.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Coyotes are everywhere. Just because we don't see them often, doesn't mean the aren't there. I read an article once that said Coyotes were even in Central Park in NYC.

3. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Coyotes are everywhere- they're unbelievably adaptable. They have even been found in Central Park NY and downtown LA. They will fit in anywhere food and habitat is available. With the disappearance of poultry and cats I'd say it's a safe bet you've got them too. We see them in broad daylight close to the house here and hear them howl all the time. I'd give some serious thought to free-ranging unless you have a fenced yard, and even then one can jump a 4 ft fence with ease so the wire will only deter predators that aren't seriously determined to get in.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are in the city of Atlanta, so yes, they are everywhere. I've seen dead ones on the highway around here.

5. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks for sharing this news.
    I didn't hear about Coyotes in NC yet. [​IMG]

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:We have packs here just 15 minutes West of Atlanta, I've seen several around here, and hear them quite often.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well, right now I'm going to continue to let them free range while I'm home. We only have an acre and they never venture further then the deck and coop area. Besides I'm home most of the time.

It just shows how much we've dissolved the natural habitat of so many creatures though.

8. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    There are coyotes all over eastern NC...very prevalent in the coastal plain swamps and farmlands. Because hunters are allowed to use dogs to run deer during hunting season, many get lost and mate with the coyotes, so not only coyotes but coy dogs abound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by