Coyotes right behind the house. Video*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rachaelakers, Feb 13, 2013.

1. rachaelakers

rachaelakers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013

Went out and shut the girls up in the coop, went in and got my live trap, walked back outside and was startled by this.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Never tell your girts to be quiet ! good thing you went to find out whats wrong !!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    My dogs (lazy labs who reside mostly in the house) are tuned int o alarm calls from my birds. The other evening at dusk their ears perked up and they ran for the sliding door - I looked at and saw a coyote slinking up on my girls with dinner on his mind. My dogs absolutely detest coyotes. I let them out and they chased him off. A few months ago one coyote got a little two clever and my chocolate lab (the one in my avatar) got him by the neck. End of that chicken thief! Not sure why they hate them like they do - I mean a stray dog could show up and they'd bound up to it and want to play....but with a coyote it's game on!

4. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    The reason may be that the coyote has been marking your dogs territory while they were off duty.
    When my Rhodesian goes out first thing in the morning he checks around the livestock buildings for signs of trespassing.
    Coyotes rarely venture into his territory.
    However the occasional lobo ventures through.
    The rest stay away, or end up at the back door in the dogs mouth.

just my .02

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Thats awesome!! Our Big German Shepard would probably just cower... :(

6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    [​IMG] We were sleeping outside once, on the ground in sleeping bags, and a coyote started howling... right in the field, not half an acre away! He must have smelled the hot dogs roasting. Dad shot off his gun and the 'yote was gone.

Reason number 10001 I'm afraid of the dark: coyotes. :p (I don't really have a thousand reasons I'm afraid of the dark.)

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I think even if just a .22 Cal pellet gun hit a 'yote he'd run away! :)

8. frigginchi

frigginchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    Saratoga, CA
    Next time grab a rifle instead of a camera..:)

9. rachaelakers

rachaelakers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    It was so dark. And I cant discharge a firearm where we are at. Or they would all be dead. I assume my dog will eat one up if he catches one. We have a catahoula leopard dog. That's who I was talking to telling him to get them. He is small animal aggressive and I have worked with him extensively to leave the chickens alone. We had a good three weeks of leash training while they were out. Now he just hangs out with them. Anything wild that comes in the yard is as good as dead if he can catch it. But we are fenced in so anything that can get over/under/through the fence before he gets it is gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by